New Project <55 gallon build>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bschowa

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i got a 55 gallon tank the other day that was in pretty rough shape.

The seals are gross, and i mean gross black and moldy
The glass has some shallow scratches in it
The top support bar was broken off
but hey: the tank was free!!! :)
so here goes the build i'm pretty much starting from scratch, hope you enjoy

here is the goal of the night,
1. take the top rim off.
2. order new rim
3. remove old silicone.

After removing the rim
img_1682728_0_74b845a759f736629569f3eee7b93aa4.jpg

Some Nice hard water stains/ light scratches all throughout the tank
img_1682728_1_0add9a0d0f8fd17546234109c8efc3d8.jpg

the Rim came off in peices pretty easily, i didnt even need to cut it that much, glad i didnt even try to fill the tank up first
img_1682728_2_5d718408ac58e1fb76c6a80ed45e4501.jpg

The gross moldy black seals
img_1682728_3_41beb8e66c4148ab68313cdd610d4375.jpg

Full rimless shot
img_1682728_4_69d940aaf27bb3349ddcc8d56d7f91c5.jpg

Looks great so far! I did this to a tank once and de-rimming the tank is the hardest part by far.

its gonna be really hard to buff a scratch out of glass you would have to have some sound a quarts based compound something harder than the glass and they your going to have swirl marks everywhere not to mention it would effect the integrity of the glass because you would be making it thinner in that spot just my 2 cent though

the whole thing is scratched, but none of it is deep. it looks like someone tried to clean the glass with steal wool. i have a buffing compound that i use to take scratches out of glass for my car, im hoping that that works, all i will need to do is make sure to wash it very well!

i ordered the new frame tonight, i need to go out tommorow and get some more razor blades, and finish taking all of the silicone off. then i will have the panes by themselves and will be much easier to work with the buffer

you probably wont be able to see the scratches if they are in the inside when u put water in it

i did some research and it seems that you wont be able to see the scratches once filled but after a few weeks when your tank has cycled and algae starts growing it will be near impossible to see through the glass because the algae will grow in the scratches. :(

My tank has a few scratch from rocks being moved by my chlids and they don't show any extra algae growth...

All my tanks have scratches on the inside from rocks you would be here pressed to find a tank that doesn't and none of my tanks collect algae in the scratches either

My 36g had some scratches and after cleaning it out with a razor (salt and algae), it got some more. But, now that it is filled, you can't tell at all.

I'm sure yours will be similar.

hey all, i hope your all having a good night, i did a little work on the tank but not much. iv got all(other than scraps) the silicone off of the surfaces and its looking good, got both the bottom and top frame off

i am having some issues getting the peices of glass apart though does anyone have any experience doing this that could give me some advice? i keep running the blade down the seam but it doesnt seem to be doing anything unfortunately im stuck at this point until i can figure out how to proceed

here are some pictures
img_1684828_0_17d93f27c20024a26f8be784ed8019df.jpg

img_1684828_1_419608fbd7aabb8086446ebc750f0a01.jpg

img_1684828_2_1f8b234b0091da535de3b183013da82a.jpg

wow, that worked great! i let them soak for a bit and they cut right out.

img_1684940_0_4f33e643fc0d884f528110a4c806cac7.jpg

if i have time tommorow im going to clean up the glass and then all i have to do is wait till the frame gets here :)

sounds good, do i have to silicone the inside seal at the same time as i put the tank back togather or can i do that after it has cured?

i got all the glass cleaned up with goo be gone worked great, now i get to write a 5 page paper i have been putting off lol yay

no you have to seal it all at once new silicone will not bond with already cured silicone its a pain in the you know what resealing a tank just make sure you go with a fish safe silicone that has good tensil strength i use DAP aquarium sealent cost like 5 bucks a tube at lowes i recommend you tubing a video to see how the pro's do it

even if the first round is purely to hold the pieces of glass together? i was thinking i would seal the glass together and then cut the residual pieces off (clean it up) and then seal it.

isnt that what people who reseal their tank usually do? otherwise wouldnt you have to completely tear apart your tank every time you reseal it?

not sure if that makes sense

Back
Top Bottom