New room for main tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After running my first 100G tank for the last 3 years and getting frustrated carrying around 5G jugs of water back and forth to my living room, I am considering upgrading my salt aquarium from 100G to 125G and am starting fresh with a new tank and new refugium/sump.

I will set these up in a new room with the main tank wall flush mounted in the living room.

I went to Melevsreef.com - Welcome! for insights and want to try a DIY approach.

I have been struggling with a number of questions:

-What type of wall insulation, humidity management systems should I use in the new room? This room has one window and one door, the only other opening is for the main tank.

-Are there special considerations I need to take into account for electricity management?

-What size plumbing should I use to move water around the sump area, is 3/4" schedule 40 sufficient? I need piping to and from cooling system, skimmer, etc.

-I would like to do my water changes directly from the sump/refugium, I'm guessing that I need one compartment that would hold about 25% of my main tank water volume, is there another way to look at this?

-I currently use activated carbon and nitrate absorbing material where I keep the flooded return pump, any suggestions on how I could do better? I am considering external pumps this time around.

-I want maximum flexibility to take pipes apart and have cleaning access.

Thanks for all the kind advice!

Back
Top Bottom