New tank, advice on setting up please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mo0kster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi to all.
I've just bought an empty tank, really cheap because it had been drilled wrong.
It's supposed to be 170l or 37 gallons for those in the US (sounds much bigger in litres if you ask me!)

Also since I started typing this I bought a tank off eBay to convert into a sump Fish tank 60 litre | eBay

I have many, many questions about this new build...

I have previously converted a Fluval Edge 46l into a reef tank, building an overflow box and weir, plumbing it, and converting a small tank into a sump. So I'm not a complete noob, but I am now very aware of the value of planning ahead, due the huge amount of mistakes I made on that build.

The first question is this: the tank is drilled with 2 x 25mm (1 inch) holes at the top and near the corners. Will these provide enough flow to build either 2 overflow boxes or 1 box all the way across the back of the tank?

I was thinking about 1 long overflow box externally with a herbie style system and 2 weirs inside the tank.

I've attached a few photos that hopefully help with answering this.

Cheers in advance

Ollie

HeysUH0.jpg
7iBAj6z.jpg

I've seen flow rates for various diameters posted here in the past; hopefully I can dig it up. Just a hunch, I don't think a 1" hole will permit a lot water to pass.
Just curious, in the second pic are those larger (covered) holes at the bottom of the tank?

Thanks for the reply. I know the holes won't let that much water pass, but I'm not really keen on drilling the tank.

Yes the holes have been drilled in the bottom of the tank. they were supposed to be in the sides, that's why the tank was so cheap!

Cheers

Ollie

put some bulkheads and valves in the drilled out holes in the bottom and make them quick water dump outs for water changes!

Ive always wanted to do this. Just run some pipe from the bulkhead up a tad over the substrate so you dont suck out dirt.
Unless youre going gravel then use a nice screen and go floor level so you can basically drain all the sediment out from inside.

why dont you use the 1" holes to pull out and then put the water back in from a center mounted overflow of some sort. then you would technically be getting 2" of water out plus a nice overflow for surface agitation.

Back
Top Bottom