New ways to build... Stacking aquariums to create latge build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickhendrix007

Aquarium Advice Activist
For my fifth (and final....?) aquarium I want to try something different. Have done a paludarium already but want to take it to the next level. Have two 20 gals lying around begging to be used. Goal is to give a unique perspective: you're looking at a riverbank underwate (rocks driftwood tree roots coming out of riverbank walls) and as your eyes travel upwards you can see into a 3d rainforest, as opposed to traditional vivariums with plants just on the back wall. Terrestrial area will have ground, sides, back and ceiling plants.

Two tanks: 20 gal tall on bottom, 20 gal long on top with the opening turned to face the viewer. 20 tall is the aquarium, 20 long is the terrestrial area. Yes, the long is slightly longer than the top of the tall but this can be remedied with plants to hide the edges.

The lip of the opening of the 20 long will rest and be sealed along the top back edge of 20tall. A custom built box will be underneath the 20 long as the support piece and to house equipment. Goal will be to essentially fuse the tanks together to resemble one ecosystem - Orinoco river biotope.

The 20 long on top will be a terrestrial area resembling a river bank - water feature that will trickle into bottom tank, drip wall, plants, soil, rocks, etc. much like you see in a vivarium for tree frogs. This section will be left open.

Bottom tank, the 20 tall, will act as the aquarium section. Will have filter hidden behind DIY background, roots extending down into water, plants, driftwood, and will home 2 German or Bolivian rams, 4-5 corydoras, 2-3 otos, possibly 5-7 small tetra species, will have to check on the bio load.

Lighting fixtures - a few ideas. Clip on lighting, hanging t5's off the shelving that is above where im going to put this tank for the aquarium part. The terrestrial area will have 2 circular high power low heat lights mounted to the top of the 20 long( formerly the side) and will shine through the glass which will give high lighting to the terrestrial plants.

Supplies- great stuff, aquarium sealant, drylok, quikrete coloring, lighting, flora and fauna, black latex paint(to paint outside tank to hide sealant and gs foam application sites, driftwood, tubing, filter, cocofiber, pool sand, rocks, filter, heater, water pump (for drip wall and water feature).... And more

Opinions on this project or possible attempts at this same idea?

I am following this sounds like an incredible idea can't wait to see it turn out what fish are you planning

Absolutely. A biotope tank, and in this case paludarium, uses all flora and fauna found within the one region. Well a true biotope is anyways... I've done one before and put plants in it that weren't from the biotope I was doing. ADA has done biotope rating tanks in the past and are ridiculously strict about it, right down to particular strains of plants and subatrates

Absolutely. A biotope tank, and in this case paludarium, uses all flora and fauna found within the one region. Well a true biotope is anyways... I've done one before and put plants in it that weren't from the biotope I was doing. ADA has done biotope rating tanks in the past and are ridiculously strict about it, right down to particular strains of plants and subatrates

Very nice and your layouts does help make more of a visual on a how it would look this is going to be very cool on how it'll turn out

Ok here's to possible driftwood set ups. My driftwood placement will be the deciding factor on the rest of the set up so it will take me a week or so to go through all the combos. I have some smaller pieces, but these are the 2 big ones. Likewise, I have rock slabs (rough, not like slate or river stones) that will be used where the 2 tanks meet to 1) hide the seam 2) create a small trickle effect from the top tank water feature, 3) allow small pools of water to form where plants/moss can grow and possibly even snails hang out (hopefully snails will stay there and not explore my apartment)

Set up 1:

image-3132912506.jpg

2 big pieces. Supposed to look like a dead tree coming out of the water and then a cypress stump in the terrestrial tank.

Set up 2:

image-3525021389.jpg

Supposed to look like a tree stump on the terrestrial area with its roots sticking out of the underwater river bank. Of course the background of the lower tank will be scraped/great stuffed to look like a muddy river bank. Likewise, the top left corned of the bottom tank would be filled in with the aforementioned rocks/ great stuff to help hide the break. (This driftwood was deliver sawn in half, but it actually work out because it gives me more room to play around with it, as it essentially becomes 2 pieces)

Anyway enough rambling. Which setup of driftwood do y'all like better?

Thanks, Nick

Yeah I'm still partial to both haha.... The first pic- top stump will have dirt under it and there will be orchids and stuff growing around it. The picture doesn't make it look so but 90% of it is in the very back of the top tank

Yeah I'm still partial to both haha.... The first pic- top stump will have dirt under it and there will be orchids and stuff growing around it. The picture doesn't make it look so but 90% of it is in the very back of the top tank

I can see how that would look either way its going to look good

Here's somewhat of an aerial view to show the depth

image-3595846873.jpg

The perfecto box is outside of the tank btw

I think the stump needs to be there to help balance out the build. Structure both up top and bottom

How about aerial view of the 2nd setup

image-2641562581.jpg

I feel like there is a lot of hidden space on the top most left corner. And if I moved the top wood to the back corner I think it would be more difficult to make it seem like the bottom wood is the same tree. I would have to angle the bottom wood at like a 45 degree to the back of the glass and there's not enough room. Picture help?

Are you going for the same tree look cause in the first one it looks like one upper tree and one lower root system if your going for one single looking tree 2 is your best option I see the hidden
space and angling it would throw it off

Are you going for the same tree look cause in the first one it looks like one upper tree and one lower root system if your going for one single looking tree 2 is your best option I see the hidden
space and angling it would throw it off

1 is supposed to look like 2 trees. One tree coming out of the riverbed as a dead stump and a second tree stump on land

2 is a tree stump on land with its roots poking through the riverside

Back
Top Bottom