No more water changes!??!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angellove78

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I watched a video last night about this drip system. Changes out a gallon per hour just by tapping into your pipes, looks pretty easy to do and cheap. My tank is in my living room right next to my kitchen. The best part is you don't even have to use hot water. It eliminates your electric bill from using hot water for water changes. Having a 75 gallon planted tank, that sounds pretty nice. And would be idea for my plants and fish. Anyways, if anyone else is interested I'll post the video so you can see what I'm so excited about. I know there are some people that already do things like this, but think this one is alittle different with a drip system. And there's no dumping buckets or totes if you are able to set a pump up to drain it right out side or down a drain. Just thought it was pretty cool, cause it's what I've been thinking about doing and now I have a better idea of it all. What to see?

I would like to see link...
Jehmco sells the emitters /drippers at different flow rates.
They are listed under air accessories.

Angel
I've heard of the drip system before and I'm sure it can work. Maybe changing out a gallon an hour is a little much. Let's say your 75 gal. tank has a total of 70 gallons total water volume.
The drip system changes 24 gal. A day × a 30 day month = 720 total gal. Changed.
In your case, that results in a 100% WC of a little over 10 × a month.
I'm an advocate of large WC's, but I would slow the water exchange by 50%. That would still result in 100% WC 5 x a month.

Angel
I've heard of the drip system before and I'm sure it can work. Maybe changing out a gallon an hour is a little much. Let's say your 75 gal. tank has a total of 70 gallons total water volume.
The drip system changes 24 gal. A day × a 30 day month = 720 total gal. Changed.
In your case, that results in a 100% WC of a little over 10 × a month.
I'm an advocate of large WC's, but I would slow the water exchange by 50%. That would still result in 100% WC 5 x a month.
You can always change the gallon per hour on how fast you want it to drip. Slowing it down or even shutting it down for a wk is fine with me. There's ways to make this work for everyone. Just gotta find what would work for you. Me! I already know what I'm doing. This is just a great idea.

Curious to know how much chlorine is in the tank? Or do you have well water?

Seems like just as much work if not more to remove water from the tank through a plumbing system since you are adding water and to find a water hook up to add continuous water than it is to just do a water change one a week.

I love the King of DIY I have built three of his projects. I saw this one it looks great!

This is idea for you! This guys got a few different videos to this. Posting both for ya. https://youtu.be/NrJ3eAE4qQE and then this one. https://youtu.be/LimJJasPUlo hope it gives ya some ideas.

Just a PSA: Joey's videos should be watched with grain of salt. Huge huge bolder sized grain of salt. regrettably YouTube doesn't offer ignore list functionality, this would be the first channel I would block to never see in search results again.

As to continuous water change /flow through there is one big consideration - water bill. To me this sounds like "never do laundry again , just keep buying new clothes" wasteful. I was raised in county with extreme water shortages, I am very diligent spending it rationaly ever since

Just a PSA: Joey's videos should be watched with grain of salt. Huge huge bolder sized grain of salt. regrettably YouTube doesn't offer ignore list functionality, this would be the first channel I would block to never see in search results again.

As to continuous water change /flow through there is one big consideration - water bill. To me this sounds like "never do laundry again , just keep buying new clothes" wasteful. I was raised in county with extreme water shortages, I am very diligent spending it rationaly ever since
Weird you think that. Cause in my eyes everyone who's in this hobby wastes water, even yourself. Nobody has to keep fish. It's a want not a need. I didn't post this video for everyone to do this the same way he does. It just gives us all more ideas on how to go about it. It's just less time and build up in the tanks we love. I agree to a some level with you. But, there's ways to modify this so the drip is not all day, everyday, or as much. Imo.

I like the idea of a continuous drip system or at least one that is on a timer. Dialed in properly, I believe it contributes to stabile water conditions which promotes healthy livestock. Waste and pollutants are constantly diluted with incoming water before they get a chance to accumulate. With traditional setups, parameters will continue to drift until corrected (hopefully) with subsequent water changes.
Do these use more water than with normal water changes? Good question. I suppose it depends on volume, amount of feed, and livestock.

I have no way to do this kind of drip system anyway but I bought aquarium kits and replaced filters so the hoods would not fit anymore. I built Joey's light using rain gutters and they are awesome. The other one was the water filter using the pvc pipe stuffed with charcoal, ammonia remover and filter floss, it's basically a large PUR faucet filter. The tap water after going through the filter dropped my ph by one full point. The PUR filter on the sink could not handle the amount of water I needed. I went through a cartridge in 2 weeks. Some of his simple projects have helped me save money as well as my back.
P.s.
I bought another tank the other day I'm up to 4....someone stop me please lol. It's just a 10 gallon and this will be ONLY FOR QUARANTINE purposes..I swear!!!

^^^ Are you kidding? We are not here to stop you. This is a group of enablers. I’m guilty as well on that. For instance, explaining to the spouse that the new tank is “not an aquarium, it is a ‘quarantine tank’. An essential tool for my success and there is a big difference...”

^^^ Are you kidding? We are not here to stop you. This is a group of enablers. I’m guilty as well on that. For instance, explaining to the spouse that the new tank is “not an aquarium, it is a ‘quarantine tank’. An essential tool for my success and there is a big difference...”

:lol: I guess if I marry again he will have to love aquariums or put it in a prenuptial agreement. MTS is real. :popcorn:

I have no way to do this kind of drip system anyway but I bought aquarium kits and replaced filters so the hoods would not fit anymore. I built Joey's light using rain gutters and they are awesome. The other one was the water filter using the pvc pipe stuffed with charcoal, ammonia remover and filter floss, it's basically a large PUR faucet filter. The tap water after going through the filter dropped my ph by one full point. The PUR filter on the sink could not handle the amount of water I needed. I went through a cartridge in 2 weeks. Some of his simple projects have helped me save money as well as my back.
P.s.
I bought another tank the other day I'm up to 4....someone stop me please lol. It's just a 10 gallon and this will be ONLY FOR QUARANTINE purposes..I swear!!!
Lol! Just a 10 gallon. And only for sick fish huh!??. Yeah, for now. Lol, till you go back to the fish store. That's funny. I said the same thing 4 tanks ago. Lol! [emoji23] just got another one yesterday, and more fish. 5.5gallon. 2 female Betta's, 1 black Molly, 4 neon tetras, 5 Otto's cats, an angelfish, and a pencil fish. [emoji23] Yup that should do it. For now. I'm laughing so hard right now. This makes 5 tanks for me. 75g, 2-10g,5.5g,and 3.5g.

Never hurts to have One more tank. Lol!

Lol! Just a 10 gallon. And only for sink fish huh!??. Yeah, for now. Lol, till you go back to the fish store. That's funny. I said the same thing 4 tanks ago. Lol! [emoji23] just got another one yesterday, and more fish. 5.5gallon. 2 female Betta's, 1 black Molly, 4 neon tetras, 5 Otto's cats, an angelfish, and a pencil fish. [emoji23] Yup that should do it. For now. I'm laughing so hard right now. This makes 5 tanks for me. 75g, 2-10g,5.5g,and 3.5g.

Now you have me laughing! I have to admit I thought about getting rid of a bookcase to make room for um a 55 er something. :brows:

You might wanta start looking for a good deal now. If it's a thought, it will happen later if not sooner. [emoji4] [emoji57] [emoji23]

[emoji38] I guess if I marry again he will have to love aquariums or put it in a prenuptial agreement. MTS is real. :popcorn:
I have MTS too. I admit it! Now, about the next tank. Hee,Hee! This might be why I never got married and never will. It's just a piece of paper to me. And if anything happens I can leave, no problem. My kids, my tanks, my truck, see ya! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom