Noisy DIY Wet/Dry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsoong

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I am slowly setting up my 80 gal system.

I made a DIY wet/dry using rubbermaid tubs. For the "distribution plate", I used 2 1" pipes with a bunch of holes drilled into them. I hooked this up to the overflow with a flex hose - the hose has a slope so the water is not falling straight down.

I eliminated the sucking/gurgling noise at the overflow using the Durso principle. But there is STILL a lot of splashing noise coming from water splashing inside the flex hose. I know it is from the hose since I disconnected the distribution pipes & have the overflow going directly to the sump (under water), still a lot of noise .... :(

Anyone has any bright ideas? TIA

I'm thinking about DIYing a wet dry- is the water falling over the bioballs themselves loud, or just as it falls through the pipes?

Thanks,

-J

In my case it is in the pipes. I had the water dripping out very close to the bioballs (less than an inch) so the dripping isn't very loud. I have experimented a bit & put some batting over the bioballs. That had totally eliminated any dripping noise.

BTW, I managed to quieten the pipe noise quite a bit by relocating the connecting hose. I put an elbow connector in & have it running in a quarter circle arc. It's not totally silent, but a gentle gurgling, good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom