Not a canopy but more of a light holder.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dustybrannum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sherman, texas-college in arlington,tx near Dall
my tank is going to be recessed in a wall so that it has a smooth front in the dining room and the back side will be in my tank room. i was just going to get some nice pine or oak to place as a front for the top of the tank. behind the scenes will be 3 400w mh. to reduce any chances of ignition my father and i were considering using square aluminum tubing to mount the mogul bases on. then make a skeleton shell to hold up the aluminum flashing aka diy reflector. this tubing will be held by two chains on hooks attached to the 2x6 ceiling joists. anyone like or dislike this idea? i think im gonna get the 10k bulbs and perhaps supplement with a vho or two.

hey, sounds good ... aluminum ignites at over 1300 degrees F and melts around 1200, so you'd need more than a few MH bulbs to cause any problems :)

but if you manage to start the aluminum on fire and add some water, you'll have yourself a big explosion as a chemical reaction between burning aluminum and water releases hydrogen gas!

on a more serious note, an open frame skeleton to hold the reflector will work, but will it be comfortable to work in the tank room with the lights on? perhaps some sort of wrap around or shield to absorb the spill off light, to keep it from blinding whoever is in the room?

Back
Top Bottom