ODNO clarifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wierdkid

Aquarium Advice Regular
say i were using a ballast that puts out a maximum of 40 watts per lead and I am running a 24" bulb (20 watts), to overdrive this bulb 2x (resulting in approximately 40 watt output) would i take to 2 leads and run it to this bulb (2*20 watts per lead = 40 watts) or would one lead produce the equivalent 40 watts?[/url]

this is all asuming your using a ELECTRONIC ballast.. :D

the results that I have read.. power draw and light output look something like this..
2X ODNO 50% increase
3X ODNO 75% increase
4X ODNO 100% increase

regardless of what the actuall power the leads are able to produce (your 40 watts total of lead power doesnt matter the bulb will only pull ~30 watts of power and put out ~30 watts of light (lummen or actuall light output is acutally higher.. its closer to the actuall power ability of the leads.. such as the equivelent of 40 watts in your case, roughly 2,000 lumen.. to give you an idea how much that is its roughtly 27% of the light output of a 55 watt PC bulb..) HTH

I missed part of your question.. this is old and I dont know why someone didnt catch it.. :(
electronic ballasts are load sensing.. in other words a 20 watt NO bulb is going to be given 20 watts per power lead off the ballast (the ballast sences its a 20 watt bulb) ODNO works by placing more then one power lead to the bulb (it "thinks" there is more then one 20 what bulb so gives the approprate juice) you can however double the output by placing 2 20 watt bulbs in series (the ballast will think that is one 40 watt bulb) and will give you twice the output per lead.. it will sence a 40 watt bulb per power lead..
electronic floresent bulb ballasts work on multilple sized bulbs is the jist of what Im trying to say..
HTH

Back
Top Bottom