Old windows to make tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine sell small pieces of acrylic but nothing you could really make a big tank with maybe 20 tops

I think the biggest pieces of acrylic mine sells is 48"x24" so if you used that as the bottom you could make a pretty big tank. But i have no idea what size glass they sell since they don't keep that out, you have to ask for it.

Home Depot spent carry glass and the stuff at lowes isn't very thick. 1/8 inch I think is as thick as they sell. You could use glass that thin on a 10 gallon tank. You could build a longer short tank with thinner glass you just have to brace it. The 86 gallon tank in my house I built is only 1/4 inch glass. I just put a lot of bracing around the top. Search euro bracing to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• image-1858273837.jpg
    image-1858273837.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 100
  • image-999340629.jpg
    image-999340629.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-576170599.jpg
    image-576170599.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 92
It's hard to see in the pictures but the bracing on the top is a double layer of 1/4 inch glass. Placed in a way that they all overlapped each other.

Attachments

• image-3602406766.jpg
    image-3602406766.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-301248064.jpg
    image-301248064.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 98
  • image-27647033.jpg
    image-27647033.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 97
Home Depot spent carry glass and the stuff at lowes isn't very thick. 1/8 inch I think is as thick as they sell. You could use glass that thin on a 10 gallon tank. You could build a longer short tank with thinner glass you just have to brace it. The 86 gallon tank in my house I built is only 1/4 inch glass. I just put a lot of bracing around the top. Search euro bracing to get a better idea of what I am talking about.

Man, you must be really good at making these DIY tanks. They look awesome! It looks like one of those expensive tanks that cost over $1000. So instead of a plastic middle brace, you used glass?

Yeah I had glass left over so I figured that would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. The tank has been up for 3+ months and everything still looks great. I really got into building tanks. I am a carpenter by trade so the construction is familiar. It's a great feeling to build something then watch your fish enjoy what you have built. Hope I can help anyway possible.

Yeah I had glass left over so I figured that would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do. The tank has been up for 3+ months and everything still looks great. I really got into building tanks. I am a carpenter by trade so the construction is familiar. It's a great feeling to build something then watch your fish enjoy what you have built. Hope I can help anyway possible.

Those are just amazing tanks........
I like to buy my own tanks though cause in afraid my handiwork will have flaws and one day, my DIY tank will crack.

I have about 10 glass doors that I been trying to get rid of over a year
never thought about listing them a a potential tank build (y)
maybe now I can get them out of here:D

Tempered is not popular amongst the pro builders that I have takes to. Reason being that with the pressure of the water pushing against tempered glass that if you gave a failure it is a complete failure. Your going to lose everything. Regular glass won't fail that way. I talked to glass cages, an aquarium building shop and that is what they told me. Most big tanks are not tempered. Smaller tanks were the pressure is not a high will use tempered glass to get by with thinner glass. When you get over 55 gallon tanks, rarely will you see tempered glass.

Tempered is not popular amongst the pro builders that I have takes to. Reason being that with the pressure of the water pushing against tempered glass that if you gave a failure it is a complete failure. Your going to lose everything. Regular glass won't fail that way. I talked to glass cages, an aquarium building shop and that is what they told me. Most big tanks are not tempered. Smaller tanks were the pressure is not a high will use tempered glass to get by with thinner glass. When you get over 55 gallon tanks, rarely will you see tempered glass.

I have never had a tank bigger than 55 gal so I don't know. Lol

Back
Top Bottom