Open bottom (Upside down) Aquarium Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I do my wife's betta tank I'm doing an upside down tank I'm gonna go with a cube on a cube bottom 12x12x12 top 10x10x12 or close to it I only want a 1" gap between the top and bottom tanks so it don't leave much room for the betta to try to fly away. LoL

That might work lol. she wants some bog plants or something so I want to give her room to plant it

Thought about putting some wisteria in the upside down part but it isn't going to have a light so I don't know what we can get away with using. We have tons of wisteria in her planted tank though

andresdeo did some pretty good DIY lighting for his upside down tank. May not be the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye for some, but it should do the trick.

The Summary

So here's the overview of the entire project:
Glass: 1/4" thick, pre-cut when ordered, non-sanded. About $40 for all 10 pieces
Silicone: DAP 100% Silicone gifted from family member. Free
Substrate: Quikrete Play Sand, about $3 for 50 lbs. Actual amount used probably would equate to a few cents
Filter: DIY from Tic Tac container (about $1) with 100% polyester fill and small stones and a suction cup(already had on-hand) Plus small aerator ($9) for power.
Decor: approximately $30 for plants and ornaments
Other: Tetra 2-10 gallon heater $11, Hossen LED Light $16

Total: $110

Not sure if that's impressive or not when you consider the size of the tank, but I'm thinking if I used acrylic I might have saved a little bit of money. On another note, I think I may have been the first to make an air-powered filter from a Tic Tac box ;3

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 164
So here's the overview of the entire project:
Glass: 1/4" thick, pre-cut when ordered, non-sanded. About $40 for all 10 pieces
Silicone: DAP 100% Silicone gifted from family member. Free
Substrate: Quikrete Play Sand, about $3 for 50 lbs. Actual amount used probably would equate to a few cents
Filter: DIY from Tic Tac container (about $1) with 100% polyester fill and small stones and a suction cup(already had on-hand) Plus small aerator ($9) for power.
Decor: approximately $30 for plants and ornaments
Other: Tetra 2-10 gallon heater $11, Hossen LED Light $16

Total: $110

Not sure if that's impressive or not when you consider the size of the tank, but I'm thinking if I used acrylic I might have saved a little bit of money. On another note, I think I may have been the first to make an air-powered filter from a Tic Tac box ;3

Total cost at $110 for a custom and unique tank even under 5 gal id be ok with that shoot. (y)

Back
Top Bottom