Our Very First 3d Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterlilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
We just finished building our very first 3D background, let me know what ya think.

Attachments

• our_first_3d_background.jpg
    our_first_3d_background.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 424
Looks very original, waterlilly. Is this done with small gravel layered on top of fresh paint? When I was a kid, my mother used to do stuff like that. As kids, we thought it was the greatest thing on earth. :D

Yes we did put some sand on the rocks so it would give it a more real look and feel, i found it so fun to make i asked my hubby when can we do it again and he said next year when we clean the tank out :D

lol.. Very nice waterlilly !

How about a few details? What materials did you use? what kind of paint? Did you have trouble with any particular steps and how did you solve them? I know, I'm full of questions... I just love details! :wink:

lol, Well we used normal styrofom the paint was a hobby type of paint that your children can use so wich means that it is non toxic i hope,lol. I'am not sure the name of the tool that my husband used to carve it out but i will take a picture of it and post, mybe you guys will know,lol. When we first started out we did not have that trunk on there and we saw a picture of one that had one so my hubby glued the styrofom that was left over from when we cut it to fit our tank. Then with a razor knife cut out the big pieces that was not needed and then just started carving on it i can also post a picture of him carving on it :lol:. But no we really did not run into any big problams, just one small glitch and that was cause we used spray achrylic in stead of paint. It did tend to eat some of the paint away but we just brushed over those spots again with paint, and i think when it did that it gave it a more natural look.

Okay here some more picture the first is before we even carved the trunk in there, the second is my hubby working on carving the trunk out, and the second is a picture of the tool he used and the las one is a side shot of it

Attachments

• before_adding_the_trunk.jpg
    before_adding_the_trunk.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 201
  • before_adding_the_trunk.jpg
    before_adding_the_trunk.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 129
  • working_on_the_trunk.jpg
    working_on_the_trunk.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 234
Thanks for the extra info and the pictures waterlilly! The tool is called a dremel tool or rotary tool.

Have you given any thought to how you're going to cure it before adding anything to your tank? It might be a good idea to do that to be sure the glue and paint won't cause any health problems for you inhabitants.

Srry i havent been here the last three days went to ´Berlin with my mother inlaw. Well my huuby filled the tank with water for three days to check and see if the paint would wash of other than that i cant say what was done to it while i was gone. I'am waiting untill i get both of the tanks ready then i will post a picture of both.

Back
Top Bottom