Overflow and sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok i have a mag drive 12 as a return pump on my fresh water sump for (oscar in tank so need big filter) my 125g tank. I was wondering what size pipe for the overflow to match the return flow and would two overflows be better than one? Also sump size i was think 30 or 55 gallon container for the sump. Will this do? Thanks in advance

Doing a few searches on google puts the mag drive 12 At 1200 GPH

A 1" PVC overflow is about 600 GPH, so hypothetically 2 1" overflows would put you at a good spot.
However, how much head your pump has and how man turns you overflow plumbing takes and how far it travels is a factor. Do a little research on overflow GPH and compare it to your set up. There are also calculators for this, since it is fairly different for each set up. A good plan is to set up a gate or ball valve on your overflow and return lines so you can fine tune the flow

I would go with a 1-1/4 or 1-1/2! I have two 1" and my sump pump is a 840 gph! And it's running its butt off!!

Back
Top Bottom