Overflow Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm turning my crab/mantis tank into a fuge and need to build/buy an overflow. Does anyone have plans/links to good designs, or am I better off buying one?

Thanks People...

It's fairly easy to build one from sheet acrylic if you have a table saw available. I've built several although I have no plans for them...I designed them as I built them.

Could I use 2 PHs with a flow valve on the return side? The fuge will be sitting above the sump.

If I understand you correctly...no. You'd never be able to balance them out just right. Is there any way you can drill the side of the fuge for a drain? That would be the simplest way to do this.

I have a used lifereef slimline overflow in it. It has (1) 1" drain and a few extra U-tubes. The in tank part is blue acrylic. $50 shipped?

loganj said:
If I understand you correctly...no. You'd never be able to balance them out just right. Is there any way you can drill the side of the fuge for a drain? That would be the simplest way to do this.

I am considering using one of the many rubbermaid containers I already own as a fuge for this reason as opposed to my crab/mantis prison...I mean tank. Then I would just drill a hole for the overflow, put in a bulkhead and pipe and pump into the container. I am thinking about the grow lights from Menards for the macro. I would rather it be a clear tank, but with a new baby on the way, I'm trying not to sticker shock my wife.

Also, I want to be able to feed my (future) yellow tang from the macro algae harvested. What kind of macro is well suited for this purpose?

Using the rubbermaid container would work well IMO. I would, since I tend to over-engineer everything, put a second drain above the main one just in case it somehow gets stopped up. You can make your own bulkheads using male/female PVC adapters and some rubber gasket material. You could also probably make a fuge from acrylic without breaking the bank. Actually, you could build it from glass for not alot of $. Either way would work fine though. The tangs I take care of seem to be very fond of the gracilaria (sp?) and it will grow like crazy with the right conditions.

loganj said:
The tangs I take care of seem to be very fond of the gracilaria (sp?) and it will grow like crazy with the right conditions.

Do you grow it in a fuge and then transplant it out, or just clip it?

I grow it here and clip it. I take a bunch with me when I go to service tanks and just put it in the veggie clip. The tangs,(hippo and yellow) normally fairly shy, will sometimes come charging out and tear into it before I can get my hand out of the tank. I've never seen it hang there for more than about 2 minutes and they always manage to knock the clip off the glass.

Thanks for the info everyone, I appreciate it. I don't know which route I am going to take, but I am leaning toward the rubbermaid 19 gal I already have.

Back
Top Bottom