Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kosla3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I need aquarium safe paint or varnish. Any idea where can I buy it and what brand ? I've asked in my local pet shop but unfortunately they didn't have any.

Thanks

i do know for spray paint several people have used krylon fusion with no problems, but i have no clue about varnish.

Are you looking to put it on the outside of the tank? Cuz if you are, then use a latex based paint, that way if you ever want to change the color, it'll peel right off.

Are you looking to put it on the outside of the tank? Cuz if you are, then use a latex based paint, that way if you ever want to change the color, it'll peel right off.

Sorry, no I'm looking for paint inside to do decoration. But thanks anyway

Oh, cool, no problem. What are you looking to paint?

I was thinking to make nice bridge from the bamboo stick but I don't want to contaminate my water. I thought that I can buy some aquarium safe varnish.

You would be better to leave the bamboo unfinished than putting a clear coat on it that would likely come off.

You would be better to leave the bamboo unfinished than putting a clear coat on it that would likely come off.

Yes. I would like to, but do you think is it safe ?? Will water not go brown or something ??

Putting paint inside the tank is a bad idea. It will eventuallt come off and probably clog filters and pumps as well as poison the tank. I painted the outside back of my tank with a rustoleum latex based paint. It holds up well, does not streak when any water gets on it, and adds depth to the overall look of my tank. I have some projest pics on my tank in one of my online albums. Take a look if you like....maybe it will give you some more ideas.

Putting paint inside the tank is a bad idea. It will eventuallt come off and probably clog filters and pumps as well as poison the tank. I painted the outside back of my tank with a rustoleum latex based paint. It holds up well, does not streak when any water gets on it, and adds depth to the overall look of my tank. I have some projest pics on my tank in one of my online albums. Take a look if you like....maybe it will give you some more ideas.

Really nice tank. Well done !! Coming back to my little project, do you think I can get this bamboo stick into the water without coating them?

Just made short movie. Please have a look if when you will have 3 min spare :) any comments or suggestions will be much appreciate. Thanks

If you have an older edition of Dr. Innes's Exotic Aquarium Fishes, you'll find that in the old days of metal frames and mastic tanks, pouring varnish into the corners was a way of sealing leaks. Back then it was an oil based natural varnish, spar varnish was preferred. I can see no reason a modern oil based synthetic wouldn't work as well. I wouldn't trust a water based to not deteriorate.Best to then it down to about half as thick as out of the can and let a coat sink in, dry and repeat a few times then apply a couple of regular thickness coats. Let it dry real good for a few days.
How are you fastening the pieces together? I don't know of any glue that will last underwater, except silicone. A few tight criss cross wraps, tightly knotted of brownish light string or thread might do. Multi stranded synthetic, like polyester, would probably last longer. Be sure and soak knots with varnish.

If you still worry about chemicals, soak the varnished bridge in a pail of water a few days, changing water daily.

And how are you keeping your bridge from floating off?

Back
Top Bottom