Painting aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaw1218

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I want to paint my aquarium but it already has fish and water and props in it, and it is in a location where I can't move it, any tips on how to move it? Also what paint should I use? I want to be able to remove it and I heard acrylic works well but it peels and gets messed up when water hits it, and I know Its gonna get wet. Thanks! (Can't use spray paint)

depending how much room you left between the wall and the tank is the first obstacle you face . the second is working in a tight space can you do it without painting the wall or better yet can you paint the tank while reaching behind and not rub the fresh paint with your arm or even hand .

usually painting the back of a tank should be done before it is set up for the very reason you are encountering now,

when I placed my 90g tank I placed furniture glides under the corners , these make life easy if you ever need to move the tank away from the wall , remember it needs to be drained down to about 1/2 tank to be able to do this , it slides pretty easy on carpet but yes you still need help to get it started moving.

anther option is to just use a solid blue or black vinyl back ground till you can paint it sometime down the line

Last edited:
depending how much room you left between the wall and the tank is the first obstacle you face . the second is working in a tight space can you do it without painting the wall or better yet can you paint the tank while reaching behind and not rub the fresh paint with your arm or even hand .

usually painting the back of a tank should be done before it is set up for the very reason you are encountering now,

when I placed my 90g tank I placed furniture glides under the corners , these make life easy if you ever need to move the tank away from the wall , remember it needs to be drained down to about 1/2 tank to be able to do this , it slides pretty easy on carpet but yes you still need help to get it started moving.

anther option is to just use a solid blue or black vinyl back ground till you can paint it sometime down the line

Thanks, but what paint should I use when I paint another tank, like paint that won't get damaged by water or peel

All the tanks I sprayed were done with Rhino coat but this needs to be done outside and everything you don't want sprayed needs to be masked off .
I painted my very first tank in the house not only did it ruin my floor it left black chunky
film on everything within a 20ft radius yes it's messy that's why I recommend doing it outside .
once it is done it looks great and holds up well and don't peal. my tanks put it through a test it holds up with both fresh and salt water.
attachment.php

I seen a few of my friends tanks done similar but they did theirs with flex seal .
looks good don't get me wrong but I did find a few flaws as it will hold up to freshwater,
it will not hold up with saltwater , the salt eats it like battery acid , and yes it can be scratched off ,

but if you decide you just want to use paint I see a lot of tanks done with kraylon fusions paints .

rhino coat is my first choice it also helps keep the tanks cooler in summer and insulates in the winter
this is another tank I sprayed 3 sides
img_3369108_1_dbddb148b10755ba09621e6a7bd5d669.jpg

as you can see I love the rhino coat it works well for me

Thanks, and I have another question, is there any cheap way to test freshwater quality? Online these kits are like 30 dollars. If that's the only way, how long do they last?

Most home improvement stores sell them kits you fill like 4 vials and mail them off , usually get results in about a week or so. I think all them kits cost about the same , it due to the fact your sending them out to a lab ,
if your on city water you could check with the local water district and get a rough idea
of the quality but most likely come up with just about anything in it chlorine florid and lots of other stuff

Back
Top Bottom