PC - Square or Straight pin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dansemacabre

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is one "better" than the other? I wouldn't think so, but I want to make sure. Hellolights has moisture-resistant endcaps for straight pin bulbs, but not square pin. Would you even recommend moisture-resistant? I think I'd like them for peace of mind, but they're a lot more expensive than your standard PC endcap. If it makes a difference, they're for Actinic 03 96-watt PCs. Thanks!

The rubber end caps give it a tighter seal so you would have less moisture if that was an issue. That said though I have been using the regular plastic endcaps (square) for about 8 years without issue. I tend to see some condensation after lights out when the hood cools down but so far no problems. If you will be keeping a plexi guard on the tank between the water and lights it won't matter much. If the lights will be afixed without a plexi splash guard, then I would definately get the moisture resistant caps. As you said, peace of mind.

Cheers
Steve

So I'm guessing straight-pin is just as well as square-pin? I know it's all in the sockets, but I read that square-pin bulbs are a bit wider? Wondering if that would affect anything. I'm going to order the straight-pin endcaps (moisture-resistant) anyways, now I'm just curious. Thanks again for your help steve!

I would base your decision on what type of endcap to get based on the availablity of the bulbs. Who wants a stright pin endcap if the stright pin bulbs are hard to find in the given wattage you need.

I know my 55W PC bulbs had a stright pin config and my 96W bulbs have a square pin config.

You're right. I can't find straight-pin 96w bulbs anywhere I've looked. I suppose I'll have to order the square-pin moisture-resistant endcaps from marinedepot, cut off the connectors, splice the wires to my ballast and just use those.

Back
Top Bottom