Petco "Brooklyn Stand" conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a 30" Brooklyn stand from Petco... not bad for $50.00

However once I really started getting things going on my saltwater tank I noticed that there was a bunch of "stuff" accumulating under the stand so i headed to Lowes and spend less than $30 on wood.. even had them cut it!

2ebx082.jpg

Side pieces are compression fit and the front door has 2 hinges, a handle and a magnetic catch.

I also grabbed a few pre cut piece of Conduit and bent it to hold the lighting fixture. That is secured with clamps.

Here is the finished product.
358qtte.jpg

mm74f4.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! I saw that stand at Petco but did not like the "openness". Of course I ended up getting something similar from another store. I showed my wife your work and she was impressed, especially with the conduit light fixture suspension. I told I could add doors to the front of mine and she suggested baskets. Oh well. Baskets as easy.

Thanks! I am planning out a floor and shelving to go into it so I can expand to a sump if I choose.

Awesome! how does it look under normal light though? I just bought one with the intentions of doing the same thing... Although i was thinking of making the wood cover the whole stand...instead of fitting it into the slot...

If you can post detail photos with the stand light up that would be awesome!

The sides look the best, I am not done with the front door yet so there is a small gap around it.

Will snap photos soon and upload. If you don't have the stand in use right now you can paint everything nicely (mine was already up so it was a challenge)

The sides look the best, I am not done with the front door yet so there is a small gap around it.

Will snap photos soon and upload. If you don't have the stand in use right now you can paint everything nicely (mine was already up so it was a challenge)
Sweet! Can't wait to see! Yea mine is still in the box...

This seems like a real good DIY alternative.

Back
Top Bottom