PH drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobb12

Aquarium Advice Regular
after making a diy co2 and running it for a day or two my ph dropped from 7.5 to below 6. (also my kh is 240) I looked at an co2 calculator and it showed that that was way toxic. I took it out of the water for about a day and my co2 went up to 8.

Is that much co2 alright, how do i keep it from dropping, should i just leave it in there for a few hours a day or what?

What size aquarium? How many bottles used for CO2 generation? What mix was used? What method of diffusion are you using?

Also I don't think you're going to be able to use the CO2 chart. 240ppm KH is equivelant to 13.4 dKH and with a rested pH of 7.5 gives you 13ppm of CO2 which is much too high. You should only have 3ppm of CO2 without injection, so your rested pH should be closer to 8.1. So your CO2 levels weren't nearly as high as you thought. You'll want to aim for a drop of 1 in pH or 6.5 as your target to have about 30ppm of CO2. You'll definately want to look at getting a CO2 drop checker since you can't rely on testing your water for your CO2 levels. Make sure to use a KH reference solution instead of the aquarium water (which some instruction recommend) in the drop checker.

i have a 10gl tank with 1 bottle 1tsp of yeast and 2 cups of sugar 1 tsp of baking soda and 6 cups of water. with an airstone at the end.

Is this a single 2 liter bottle? Generally your setup wouldn't produce enough CO2 to acheive 30ppm CO2 let alone higher levels. Were your fish showing any signs of stress? If not this would further show that there weren't significantly high levels of CO2 present. I'd recommend getting a drop checker as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom