Please respond before we make a mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I purchased a blue cold cathode which came with a dual inverter, and the cold cathode tube. Now we are searching for an AC/DC adapter.. we found one that says output: 12VAC - is this what we're looking for? My friend wants to try putting it straight into the wall, with no ac/dc adapter, but I am afraid it might super fry out the bulb thanks!

You sure would, what comes out of the wall is 110-120 volts. So you definately need a transformer that will bring this down for you.

Radio Shack has a bunch of small AC/DC inverters. They are rated in milliamps so you'll need to know what the current draw on the cathode tube is before you buy one. It's OK to have one that's too large...you just don't want to undersize it.

since you already have the inverter, you just need a power supply that is 12 volts DC

12vac is not what you want, it should say 12vdc ... they'll be like $10 at radio shack or best buy - just tell them you need a 12 volt power pack.

did the cathode box come with any electrical info? (eg. 110V or 240V and mA or A value)

I have a simpler idea. Just take it with you to Radio Shack. They will hook you up 100% no mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom