plexiglass siliconed to glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How well would aquarium silicone be for making a shelf in a tank out of Plexiglas. I plan on making a piece of land suspended above the water for my mudskippers and i was going to put sand on top of it and i wanted to know if it would be strong enough to hold the weight.

I think it would be better to use PVC pipes to support the land area. You could paint them black with acrylic paint or silicone driftwood and/or sand/gravel to help them blend in.

You could try using foam and suction cupping or otherwise keep it connected to the side of the tank. (maybe a little "rail" for the foam to run along to keep it above the water level)

Silicone should work fine. I use GE I for basement/kitchen/attic.

I wouldn't use any silicone that says Kitchen or bath on it as it contains a mildewcide. Silicone doesn't adhere well to plexi and plexi will sag if there is weight on it. If the span is enough it will sag under it's own weight unless it is really thick. It could work but the above mentioned stand idea is probably more secure.

GE I for basement/kitchen/attic does not contain mildewcide. GE II does contain mildewcide, as may other forumulations of GE I.

im just going to use the silicone that actually says for aquarium use, but i am liking the driftwood idea. i would need to find a piece i like and that was tall enough.

Back
Top Bottom