Plugging A Hole In Glass Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enzo954

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently purchased a used 110 gallon Aquarium that has an overflow box built in. It was used for saltwater.

I want to convert it to a Cichlid tank and am starting to think that the huge built in overflow box is a bit of an eyesore. Is it possible to remove the overflow box and then somehow plug or fill in the 2 pre drilled holes in the bottom of this glass tank? One hole is 1/12 inches wide and the other is 1 3/4 inches wide.

110 is a nice sized tank and I wouldn't want to attempt this unless I know the seal won't break.

Thanks

Why? Use the system and set-up a sump. Perfect for a cichlid aquarium because of increased water volume. Stock the sump with plants and you have a method to use up all the waste that those cichlids produce.

Why? Use the system and set-up a sump. Perfect for a cichlid aquarium because of increased water volume. Stock the sump with plants and you have a method to use up all the waste that those cichlids produce.
+1 fill sump with anarchis! Nitrate sponge and salad bar for the cichlids!

Well I just think that the huge black overflow box is an eyesore in the tank.

Even though I agree with above suggestions, yes it's possible to remove the overflow box, not easy but doable. The holes can be plugged up using bulkheads with covers to stop them from leaking. Search overflow delete or removal, lots of how to's.

I had a central overflow system in my 125, I didn't like it so I ripped it out, then bought a piece of slate silicones the hell out of it and covered the hole.
You can do it:)

I've plugged holes by covering them with pieces of glass and silicone (on the inside of the tank), and I've also used rubber stoppers similar to the kind that go into a boat drain. They expand as you tighten them. Either way can work although the glass is better since the metal/rubber breaks down eventually.

Back
Top Bottom