Plumbing Overflow Box and Planning Water Flow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimothy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 180g tank with built in overflow box, ramp and platform for freshwater turtles. To keep everything cleaner I planned this tank to remover water from the bottom and surface of the display to a sump and be pumped back in. I have 3 holes drilled, 2 in the overflow box and one on the opposite end.
However, I overlooked the problem of the canister filter siphoning water from the display to the sump is the power fails, I would appreciate any feedback and help...

My original plan was to have a standard overflow box design

(water out 1 hole and back through another)
and have the canister filter daw through a vent on the other side and put the water into the sump.

I also drew up a plan to pump water back in on other side to create better flow in display tank

When I learned of the siphon the canister filter would create during a power outage, I got creative with this but couldnt find any sort of divided pipe online.

Finally, I have a modified plan

The return line will have a siphon break just below the surface to prevent backflow, and the canister filter will pull through a U pipe with a hole just below the surface to prevent backflow.

Will this work? One concern I have is if the power goes out and the siphon is broken, the filter will be pulling air in once power comes back on....?

Click on pic for larger view at host,
Thx for looking

Attachments

• TurtleTank_plan3.jpg
    TurtleTank_plan3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 135
  • TurtleTank_CanisterPlan.jpg
    TurtleTank_CanisterPlan.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 150
  • TurtleTank_OverflowPlan.jpg
    TurtleTank_OverflowPlan.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 137