Plywood Tanks questions .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Tetra Whisper 10 air pump. It's very quiet. However, I've noticed it's important to make sure nothing is in contact with the air pump such as power cords or air tubes. It's also important to make sure that the air pump's air tube and power cord do not touch anything because they are vibrating with the air pump and will buzz against any other object. I also happen to have it on a folded towel and that probably helps to make it quieter.

Plywood Tanks

You can google "how to build your own tank" One that I ran across was how to build a wooden tank. It had pictures and the directions. I think it is pretty time consuming as well. Give that a try. 3 sides were of plywood and the front was a thick piece of glass.

Look up fingerlakesreef.com. They have a plywood section in there. The site doesn't see a lot of traffic but they have some really nice plywood builds.

Plywood tanks are roughly the same if not more expensive then making a glass aquarium from scratch. I think that if you can cut glass or have a good glassier in the area who won't charge an arm and a leg glass is cheaper and easier to work with.

Plywood tanks are roughly the same if not more expensive then making a glass aquarium from scratch. I think that if you can cut glass or have a good glassier in the area who won't charge an arm and a leg glass is cheaper and easier to work with.

also sometimes its cheaper just to buy an all glass aquarium than making one

I've build my own big plywood tank a while ago. It might seem overwhelming but definitely worth it if you have the right tools, a plan and patience. It is not necessarily cheaper if you build it properly. But you can make them any size you want. I wanted more length than height so I custom build a 8 foot tank for myself.
I made it with epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth and epoxy paint. Allot of work but I love my tank. And so do my small clownfish in a 8 foot tank. :)

Fish-guy said:
I've build my own big plywood tank a while ago. It might seem overwhelming but definitely worth it if you have the right tools, a plan and patience. It is not necessarily cheaper if you build it properly. But you can make them any size you want. I wanted more length than height so I custom build a 8 foot tank for myself.
I made it with epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth and epoxy paint. Allot of work but I love my tank. And so do my small clownfish in a 8 foot tank. :)

Do you have a pic? I'd love to see it.

Has anyone tried putting windows on the sides. I could see ot being pretty awesome with a port hole or two.

joejeff said:
Has anyone tried putting windows on the sides. I could see ot being pretty awesome with a port hole or two.

Ha there's an excellent idea haha I think that'd make those tanks a lot better
I think I might give this project a try
My dad can get plywood & glass for free or dirt cheap
All I need is patience

OBEYtheFISH said:
Ha there's an excellent idea haha I think that'd make those tanks a lot better
I think I might give this project a try
My dad can get plywood & glass for free or dirt cheap
All I need is patience

Post when you do. I think I may try to start getting material for one myself. I have Nvr made any aquarium though. I think I need to start small.

well if you like the look of the plywood tank by not being able to see through the sides i think you could do it I think it looks like a really good cheap way to build a large tank

Back
Top Bottom