Pond Glass Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gold12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Built a rectangular outdoor pond that sits on a concrete slab, two sides are double width brick walls and the other two sides are 12 mm toughened glass panes. The glass panes measure 186 cm long and 135 cm long x 59 cm high each (maximum water depth is 53 cm at the overflow). The glass sits in aluminium channel (20 x 20 x 3 mm) which is screwed to the concrete along the bottom and to the bricks up each side. Where the panes come together in the corner there was a 1 cm gap, which I filled with clear Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. The pond was left dry for a week while the silicone cured before filling it up with fresh water. The top metal edging is only decorative, has no structural purpose.
P1350762.jpg
It’s been about 3 weeks since filling the pond and today I noticed that the glass panes have moved. Both panes have pushed out at the top, with the longer pane moving enough that the silicone has peeled away from the glass at the top as seen in Fig.2 below.
View attachment 314603 View attachment 314604

Was this problem caused by the width of the silicone? Would a smaller gap between the panes have worked better?

Attachments

• P1350854.jpg
    P1350854.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 106
  • P1350855.jpg
    P1350855.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 103
You can research it. Welding metal uses heat to fuse 2 pieces into one.

Built a rectangular outdoor pond that sits on a concrete slab, two sides are double width brick walls and the other two sides are 12 mm toughened glass panes. The glass panes measure 186 cm long and 135 cm long x 59 cm high each (maximum water depth is 53 cm at the overflow). The glass sits in aluminium channel (20 x 20 x 3 mm) which is screwed to the concrete along the bottom and to the bricks up each side. Where the panes come together in the corner there was a 1 cm gap, which I filled with clear Gold Label Pond Aquarium Sealer. The pond was left dry for a week while the silicone cured before filling it up with fresh water. The top metal edging is only decorative, has no structural purpose.
View attachment 314602
It’s been about 3 weeks since filling the pond and today I noticed that the glass panes have moved. Both panes have pushed out at the top, with the longer pane moving enough that the silicone has peeled away from the glass at the top as seen in Fig.2 below.
View attachment 314603 View attachment 314604

Was this problem caused by the width of the silicone? Would a smaller gap between the panes have worked better?
Hello, is glass & top rail bowing? If so you may need to add a vertical brace in center of glass panes. Hope this helps!!!!!

Definitely would get the water level down.

It is so pretty but you do not want to bust it. It the thickness of glass rated for that sized pond. (I know nothing about the specs or how to figure them out, but my 4' aquarium has 12mm glass so I would figure that yours might need to be thicker)

Back
Top Bottom