Power back up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean57

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just wondering if any of the members have ever built a battery back up system for their reefs in case of extended power outages. I'm only really concerned with my heaters and circulation pumps. I will be building one soon, just looking for input. Or does anyone know of a ready available system that's designed for this? I know you can buy battery banks from say Goal zero etc... but looking for something that perhaps is automatic in the event of a power outage. Eventually we will be putting a natural gas generator on our home that is automatic but have not got that far yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just out of interest has anyone looked at price difference between battery and generator backup as well?

I had briefly looked at batteries (unfortunately just off the shelf, not building), but can buy a small camping generator from hardware for not that much and hopefully a better life span (due to computer backup batteries I had tried only lasting a few years).

We use an inverter for the circuit that both the aquaria are on. I don't know how much they cost because my husband finds electronics on eBay and cobbles them together. Regardless of his tinkering, you can buy self contained backups and inverters.

the tiny computer is full of delicion!

There are a couple of ways of looking at it.
Previous diy projects like this have been as simple as car batteries in a box, but you have to be home when the power goes out.
One can even use simple minnow pumps that run off of AA batteries.
Many use simple battery backups for computers, but there have been modifications made to even utilize charging them via 12 volt plug from your vehicle.
I personally didn't want to do the work and shelled out the extra coin to have them ecotech battery backups for my radeons and vortechs.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the most efficient inverters are in the yachting/commercial fishing vessel world.
the home user solar panel/inverter system cant hold a candle to the marine guys stuff.
down side is inverters require regular use,so if you did connect 1 you would unplug your a/c min 1x per week for several hours.
upside is they are online automatic without any user action required.
lead/acid gel cell batteries can be used in a living space others not recommended.
best gell batteries belong to the wheel chair pple,for live expectancy/performance.

Back
Top Bottom