proposed DIY Sump Design (FW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvh3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I'm currently running a Fluval 306 canister filter on my 36 Gallon bowfront, and it does a fine job, but I'm curious about potentially adding a sump into the party...
I've read a bit now about different filtration methods and each seems to have upsides and downsides... so I thought why not incorporate all of them?

In a ten gallon sump is a challenge though...

Let me know if you see any downsides of this basic design

(Forgive the MS Paint... I tried using CAD apps and... well... i thought i was smart... apparently not)

Sump_Design_Proposed.jpg

It looks like a great plan but I think intead of the moving bed bottles just leave that compartment alone without any bottles and drill some holes smaller than the moving media for water flow. Moreover, heater can be either at the end or the intake place, In my opinion I would keep it after the intake seprate from the moving media so warm water could flow through or at the end.

PS Sorry it got too long.:hide:

Re: moving filter bed out of bottles
You're right, it would give me more room for more filter media, and I thought about it. But I was also thinking about building a diy algae scrubber on the back of the sump in that section. Also had considered using BioMotion sintered glass as media. And didn't think that would be good bouncing against a glass tank over and over.

Re: heater
Thought about other places to put it. But the intake chamber has filter sponges and media in it. And the output chamber is I would think too low a water height to use the heater... The instructions for it specifically state it should not be on its side.

I'm certainly not arguing with your suggestions, just presenting my rationale for why I chose the way I did and am completely open to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks so much for looking it over at all!

Back
Top Bottom