protein skimmer versus fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am working on a 10g fuge for my 20g nano reef+fish tank. I plan on using chaeto as my filter media in one of the last compartments of the fuge. My question is, do I still need a protein skimmer? With weekly water changes, do I need to worry about further filtration? Should I keep my canister filter? The fuge would set beneath my dp.

With a tank that small, you'll be fine without a skimmer. Just be dilligent about your PWCs.

Okay. Thank you for the response. How about live sand? I'd like to do without it, just live rock and chaeto. Is that enough?

That should be fine for a small tank. If you had a bigger fuge I'd recommend putting in a DSB, but you'll be fine.

I would go with the skimmer since any macro algae for sumps will grow really fast under any lighting and for macro algae if you get red slime which most aquariasts get especially in a smaller tank where the chemicals can fluctuate faster the red slime will cover the macro algae and it just gets nasty. Another point is that a protein skimmer is actually removing the access protein and waste in your aquarium before it has time to break down into harmful chemical but the macro algae is just converting most of your phosphates and nitrites into nitrates.

Algae absorbs nutrients. Algae doesn't give off nitrate nor does it change phosphates and nitrite to nitrate. As far as I remember from grade school, plants gave off oxygen as a waste product.

thanks but there was no need for you to insult my intelegence to grade school level, i would think being a moderator you would know better.

It's spelled "intelligence" actually, and no one was insulting anyone. And as far knowing better, you seem to be the one who doesn't. Please don't try and help folks unless you have an idea what the solution would be. these decisions they are making may cost them hundreds of dollars.

Back
Top Bottom