pumps and plastic containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm hoping to get my feet wet in the world of DIY. I'm hoping to make a sump for a 29g FW.

Typically, can pumps run while dry (if the water level get too low) without being damaged?

Do I need to worry about plastic containers (rubbermaid etc) leeching things into the water?

Boring details: I'm trying to fandangle a system that cannot overflow. If the overflow gets clogged the water level in the sump will drop. I'm hoping to put the pump high enough in the sump that the pump will go dry before the main tank overflows.

Thanks!

Most pumps can not run dry as they will over heat and or have the impeller and shaft bang around wile rotating causing potental damage.

Any container thats rated 'food grade' or rated for pottable water will be fine.

While mounting the pump in that way will save you from flooding...it will be at the pump's expense. (if the overflow stopped).

The best way I know to get some insurance against flooding is with float switches that detect the unusual water levels and shut the pump off before damage can occur.

Back
Top Bottom