Put aquarium over important papers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I realize this is not a great idea, but I'd really like to put a large aquarium
on top of two filing cabinets that have fairly important papers in them. I can hear somebody muttering 'all aquariums leak eventually'...

So I was thinking, since I am not real picky about looks, how about if I put a piece of epdm rubber under it, and maybe 3" up the sides, with a sort of drain off the back?

What do you guys think?

A rubber mat or tray sounds a good idea. Perhaps others will have more solutions. I have a 5gal on the filing cabinet without any problems (touch wood ;) ).

Don't laugh too hard.. But.. I have one of my tanks on top of a toilet rug/mat.. It's waterproof, and got a grey fuzz on top which actually looks ok, and is nice and soft for the tank to sit on. The mat then is also sitting on top of a grey plastic shopping bag.. High tech I know.. But it guarantees the mahogany won't stain any further than it did when I had nothing to protect it..

My 6g QT/holding tank sits on a platform made of 2x4s and this rests on a pair of metal filing cabinets (filled with important stuff). I am careful when adding water to the tank though I am concerned about leakage. I like the plastic garbage bag idea. Next time I am changing the water in this (again, it's only 6g) I will empty/remove it and try the plastic bag and/or rubber mat. I would like to contain any spills as the metal file cabinets are on bamboo flooring.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

small disposable aluminum pizza pan would be a good water catcher they have like a 1 in lip around it

Got to put to the test the toilet mat last night! Un beknown to me I had inadvertently caused a reverse flow of an air tube, so water was sneaking out straight to the mat.

Well, I must have lost a good 500ml water without even noticing till I realised the line was full of water. After the clean up, of which all the water was absorbed into the mat, I was well pleased that underneath was dry! Yeah! Go toilet mat!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Got to put to the test the toilet mat last night! Un beknown to me I had inadvertently caused a reverse flow of an air tube, so water was sneaking out straight to the mat.

Well, I must have lost a good 500ml water without even noticing till I realised the line was full of water. After the clean up, of which all the water was absorbed into the mat, I was well pleased that underneath was dry! Yeah! Go toilet mat!

wait till you ever remove the tank off that piece of furniture especially knowing the mat it's on was soaked , I done something similar took the finish right off the desk ,

I was thinking this as well :( Used to get into trouble as a kid when water back-flowed into the air-pump / cloth mat and I had to re-polish furniture underneath!

Ahhh what the heck... Aside from buying the furniture second hand anyway... (Lol)..
It was my husbands choice of furniture.. And,
I had already wrecked it by having scrubbed out the tank with a vinegar solution.. Well there is now a burn mark where my cleaning bucket sat.. Woops.

But, I am not attached to this piece of furniture.. :) but yeah.. I always learn the hard way. :)

Back
Top Bottom