PVC glue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amdninjaboy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Going to be gluing my plumbing together this weekend for my drain and return. Just wondering if the glue I got is the right stuff.. I notice in alot of pics that the glued joints are purple on most peoples PVC. The can of glue I got says its for PVC but it says its medium grey.. Is this ok to use? Or did I get the wrong stuff?

Shane.

The cleaner is purple usually, but sometimes yellow (i think). If you got pvc cement, you got the right stuff. Just let it cure well. You're talking about seeing purple like this right?

img_1288800_0_7b1d44184e5bc5096ca472836c0e0c3e.jpg

Ya I saw that and thought maybe I got the wrong stuff.. Are you supposed to use primer too, I thought the primer was for cold weather like below 50 deg..

Shane.

It cleans the joint allowing the glue to stick... Its basically acetone and some kind of color IIRC. You should use it to make sure you get a good seal

Ok, thanks mfd.. Thanks for the quick replies too. I will be off to HD to get some primer. Want everything sealed good dont want any leaks..

thanks again,

Shane.

I've never used the primer,just glue the fitting and the pipe,push together then a quick twist.I use pvc all the time at work.

Primer etches the pipe (removes the shininess) and allows the glue to work better. It comes in purple, orange, and clear. They all work pretty much the same. The coloring is added to make plumbing inspections easier. The glue actually solvent welds the joint together.

as long as its pvc pipe pvc cement will be fine same as abs needs abs cement if you criss cross cements it can have a chemical reaction and melt the pipe

I used the purple primer and found clear PVC glue online so I got some of that.. Everything is glued up and tank and sump are running with no leaks.. Thanks all..

Shane.

Back
Top Bottom