PVC Wet/dry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here's what I'm thinking- would it be feasible to make a wet/dry out of a piece of 4" PVC pipe extending from just below the overflow, down behind the tank and stand, with a 2" pipe coming off at a right angle to empty into the sump? I would fill it with bioballs, and put a removable endcap on the bottom, so I could clean it out once in a while. I was thinking it might solve the gurgling/sucking sounds that alot of poeple get from having straight, small diameter pipes running to their sumps. Can anyone see any drawbacks?

Thanks for any input-

J

I think the wet-dry itself is a draw back (this for SW or FW?)

the design itself however, i think is ok, except that I think you might be trading gurgling and sucking noises for pouring and splashing noises... of course... if you keep the unit itself sealed, and have the out line under water... then you probably won't have any noise at all, which i think is what you're going for. :D

I'm now thinking about setting it up with no sump at all, just ending the pipe about 1.5' from the ground, with a T going directly to my pump, and a cleanout on the bottom of the T so I can put a bucket underneath and clean it out. My main concern is noise- there wouldn't be any stretches of pipe where water could fall unobstructed, like there normally is from the overflow to the sump, but I don't know how loud the water falling over the bioballs will be.

Thanks for the input!

-J

Back
Top Bottom