Quartzite/Sandstone/Flagstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristinaE12

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is this safe for Aquarium use? I just want to double check and make sure there is nothing I'm missing. I actually researched it and did the Vinegar test and it didn't bubble or fizz. So just double checking to make sure and to be better safe than sorry.

Here are a couple pics of it in case for some reason it isn't what I was thinking/told it was.

(Click to make larger)

Is this safe for Aquarium use? I just want to double check and make sure there is nothing I'm missing. I actually researched it and did the Vinegar test and it didn't bubble or fizz. So just double checking to make sure and to be better safe than sorry.

The Vinegar test is only tell you if you have a carbonate rock like limestone or marble. In high pH tanks, those rocks are fine. I'm not a big fan of using clastic sedimentary rocks like, Sandstone, Siltstone or shale in aquariums .. IMO ... it's hit or miss.

Quartzite however, which is the metamorphic form of quartz sandstone is safe.
If you found those rocks in a lake or river then chances are they are tough enough to be in your tank.

I actually got it from like a landscaping place. Although they don't treat their stuff at all. I specifically asked them that. They just mine it or whatever and sell it.

I'll just add it after a good cleaning and watch it then.

Don't boil them, you could bake them to kill anything.

I have quartz in one of my aquariums it's fine, along with sandstone.

Don't wash with soap, rather with warm dechlorinated water

I actually got it from like a landscaping place. Although they don't treat their stuff at all. I specifically asked them that. They just mine it or whatever and sell it.

I'll just add it after a good cleaning and watch it then.

Worth a shot ... maybe just give them a good scrubbing. The issue with sandstone is that it tends to be porous so no detergents, a vinegar or mild bleach solution should do fine. After a good rinsing, put them in water and add de-chlorinator to neutralize any bleach (chlorine) residue.

Keep an eye on the sandstone ... hopefully it lithified well and will not crumble apart once submerged.

Okay last night I let it all sit in the tub and soak in hot diluted bleach water for about an hour and scrubbed the pieces. Rinsed it all off really good then set it all in my 5 Gallon bucket with more water and added Prime. Which soaked overnight and still is at this point.

I tested the PH and Ammonia just now which are reading:

PH - 7.6 - Which appears to be the same as what's in the tank.
Ammonia - 0ppm.

Okay now my question is.. Is there anything else I'm missing before I'd add it to my tank. Or did I cover everything. I know once I add it to my tank to watch the parameters still. Which I am daily anyways cause I'm in the process of a fishless cycle.

Back
Top Bottom