Question about Installing a 3d background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say you could, if you take the proper steps. Have it fully cured (ie test it in a bucket/bin for leaching first) and put it in during a major PWC/clean-up.

I'd push the substrate away from the back wall and use it to keep the base wedged in place and a plastic clip of some sort to keep the top in place. I wouldn't try to silicone it in place because the curing would take a while and until it's fully cured, it's dangerous to fish.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'd say you could, if you take the proper steps. Have it fully cured (ie test it in a bucket/bin for leaching first) and put it in during a major PWC/clean-up.

I'd push the substrate away from the back wall and use it to keep the base wedged in place and a plastic clip of some sort to keep the top in place. I wouldn't try to silicone it in place because the curing would take a while and until it's fully cured, it's dangerous to fish.

What about hot gluing it in place? Just the top half after doing a 50% PWC? then placing a rock in front for extra security and wedge the bottom under sand...

Has anyone tried it yet? I'm about to try it once I receive my background

Thx

Mike

No no no, if this is done with cement/concrete, then I would never put this in a stocked tank. After it has been cured, I would stick it in another tank, with a filter (a sump would work best), and run the tank with salt water for 2-3 days. Do a full water change, and repeat this step once or twice more. Then empty the tank, put fresh water back into the tank, and circulate it again for 2-3 days and repeat again. Then start using media bags from a previous fish tank and get your cycle going again (of course testing your tank water) before adding the little guys n girls. This could be very harmful to your fish if not done right.

--edit-- don't use hot glue, use GE 1 Silicone

No no no, if this is done with cement/concrete, then I would never put this in a stocked tank. After it has been cured, I would stick it in another tank, with a filter (a sump would work best), and run the tank with salt water for 2-3 days. Do a full water change, and repeat this step once or twice more. Then empty the tank, put fresh water back into the tank, and circulate it again for 2-3 days and repeat again. Then start using media bags from a previous fish tank and get your cycle going again (of course testing your tank water) before adding the little guys n girls. This could be very harmful to your fish if not done right.

--edit-- don't use hot glue, use GE 1 Silicone

I thought hot glue was aquarium safe?

I have seen this before. Google 3d backgrounds. If you can't find it, let me know.

I have seen this before. Google 3d backgrounds. If you can't find it, let me know.

seen what before? not sure what i'm looking for... can you link me? is there instructions to install a 3D background while the tank is setup and running?

Well I thought you meant a 3d background that is actually on the outside behind the tank. Basically a shadow box. But I see you mean one the intank structures. Is there water in the tank? If so the silcone will not be able to dry properly and is toxic until dry.
But if you are interested in the other background, I will find it.

Well I thought you meant a 3d background that is actually on the outside behind the tank. Basically a shadow box. But I see you mean one the intank structures. Is there water in the tank? If so the silcone will not be able to dry properly and is toxic until dry.
But if you are interested in the other background, I will find it.

Amazon.com: 3D Background - Stone - 24" x 18": Home & Garden

this is the one im trying to install... it says to use silicone in the description, but since the tank is already setup and running i was wondering if i could just empty the water 50% and dry off the back then apply hot glue to the glass and the background and wedge it under the sand and prop a rock in front of it... will the hot glue dry the background to the glass ok? i really want to avoid taking everything down so i was hoping i could install it somehow without taking it all down...

That is cool. When I set up my fw tank, I'm getting one. As far as hot glue, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it holds underwater.

That is cool. When I set up my fw tank, I'm getting one. As far as hot glue, I'm not sure. I'm not sure it holds underwater.

ive seen a lot of decorations use it fine for holding together? do you think it wont be good on the glass or something?

I've had mixed results with hot glue holding underwater. It's nontoxic to fish from my experience but unless you're attaching rough surface to rough surface, you stand a chance of the bond not holding.
If it's outside of the water, on the back of the tank, hot glue should be fine.

I've had mixed results with hot glue holding underwater. It's nontoxic to fish from my experience but unless you're attaching rough surface to rough surface, you stand a chance of the bond not holding.
If it's outside of the water, on the back of the tank, hot glue should be fine.

ok thanks... i just am still not even sure if i'll be able to install the 2 pieces of 3D background without completely taking the tank down and using silicone, i want to do a quick job and just get it in there really quick with hot glue.. hopefully the peices are exactly 48" and if i wedge them down inside maybe they will stay from the force of being wedged in as an exact fit? i just would hate to take it all down just to install the backgrounds :( any ideas? maybe a clamp?

Natural rocks are very very nice looking. When done with the same techniques of 3d backgrounds (cement) it looks marvelous.

How high is your waterbill? lol

KreativJustin said:
I rent as well, without paying water, so water usage can be bountiful at my house. :)

Haha nice... Even if I owned the house and was responsible for a water bill I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a significant increase in the bill... I have 6 tanks running. A 125,55,55,54,29,20... And about 50% of that of a water change every 1-2 weeks still probably would t equal 1 or 2 showers lol or the ammount of water some people use to water their plants etc. Just a guess though :)

Yeah, I suppose that is true. I've never thought about the usage of water during showering (as I've never really had to pay for water)

Well with research done..

National US Standard is 2.5gpm (gallons per minute)

So equation: t(2.5)=Usage - 15(2.5) = 37.5

About 20 gallons under what it would be for me to fill up my tank. I'll have to skip two showers next time :'(

Back
Top Bottom