question about new stand from craigslist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedEuphoria

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone, I just picked up a 125 and homemade stand. I see that this stand uses screws to hold the top frame that the tank sits on. I see many others where the stand has 2x4's between frame and base. I know the person had used this tank so sure it will work. Just a little nervous about longevity with screws. Lmk what you think

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131013_111122.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_111122.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 184
  • ForumRunner_20131013_111136.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_111136.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 175
  • ForumRunner_20131013_111146.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131013_111146.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 165
Just thinking before I set it up I should undo the corner legs, cut a few inches off them and replace them in between the frame and base

Correct the stand isnt' ideally built as one would like to see 2x4 supports under the top 2x4 frame. Screws shouldn't be utilized as the support of the weight, while it probably isn't going to matter in this case, it is a poor building practice. I wouldn't be too worried with the current design because of what looks like pine tongue and groove pine siding wrapping around the front and sides?

It is an easy enough fix to just add some 2x4s now if you are concerned.

I would likely add the 2x4 supports, frame in a doors, and slap some ply in the bottom to make use of all that storage space under the tank.

If you are concerned, add some pieces of 1 x 4 (snug fit) to the face of the legs between the top and bottom shelf, using some glue and screws. That way the weight will be transferred from the top to the bottom, and the thinner wood will fit in more easily. It will do the same as adding a 2 x 4 but more easily and will add less unnecessary weight.

Well now I guess its overbuilt, lol. I added 2x 2x4's in each corner. Decided I wanted to paint it black so replaced the trim and added matching trim to the bottom. Braced the skin. Filled all the nails in and finally got the door finished. I could not get a hinge that I liked so going with magnet at top of door and lip on bottom

Just have to fill and sand spits on door and get magnets in then ready for black marine paint over killz

I'll add some new pics later after I get the paint on

oh and note to others on 2 things

kilz original oil primer sucks, its more of a sealer and is not sandable. Tried to touch up a few spots before top coat and has become a pita

dont use spraypaint for background, brush or roller is way easier. Taped it off and after 3 cans of paint could still see through it, 2 coats of rostoleum black rolled on is black

oh and note to others on 2 things

kilz original oil primer sucks, its more of a sealer and is not sandable. Tried to touch up a few spots before top coat and has become a pita

dont use spraypaint for background, brush or roller is way easier. Taped it off and after 3 cans of paint could still see through it, 2 coats of rostoleum black rolled on is black

Use 2 cans of black spray paint. Let it dry. Then roll on paint. The spray paint will stick on the glass hard after it drys. That dry spray paint gives the other paint something to stick too. Other wise it is next to impossible to get the rustoleum paint to stick. I know this from experience. The rustoleum will just peel off later if there isn't anything for it to stick to. Like the spray paint.

Use 2 cans of black spray paint. Let it dry. Then roll on paint. The spray paint will stick on the glass hard after it drys. That dry spray paint gives the other paint something to stick too. Other wise it is next to impossible to get the rustoleum paint to stick. I know this from experience. The rustoleum will just peel off later if there isn't anything for it to stick to. Like the spray paint.
well thats exactly what I did as I didnt feel like removing the spray so just painted over it with a roller

Thats the way to do it. Only downside is if u ever want to change the back ground color or just get rid of the back ground all together. Its gonna be what you call not fun. Thats how it is on my 75 g. Its been moved twice and hasn't lost a single strip of paint.

Rustoleum marine paint seems nice and solid other than its 24hrs between coats and 3 days till handling

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131029_193202.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131029_193202.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 77
So here's mostly finished. Added nearly 200lbs of rock

Changing the intake is on my to do list, and adding an air pump and powerhead

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131109_104217.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131109_104217.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20131109_104224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131109_104224.jpg