Re sealing second hand tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found an answer on the sand :) Google is good, mm-kaayyy

"Before putting sand into your aquarium it's recommended that you give it a good clean. You clean sand in very much the same way as you would gravel. Using a reasonably large bucket, pour some sand into the bucket, don't put too much in, probably a quater of a bucket full of sand would be okay. Then add water and start swilling the sand around. After two or three minutes carefully tip the water out of the bucket and if need be repeat the process until the water runs reasonably clean. You're never going to get the sand totally spotless, you just want to remove the worst of the dust."

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Omg, hard work this sand cleaning business!!

Got the background up on the tank, and adding the sand now.. Just like decorating a cake really. Slop, slop, .. Spread.. smooth.. Level.. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473058531.978337.jpg

Got some garnet sand. And found a really cool lava rock at the shop today (yes expensive.. But I love it)

I am a huge fan of Garnet sand. Those rocks are likely fine.

Check into Peat moss - tub /trash can soaking with the peat moss is a possibility, and you can use the softened water to create your tank water.

Autumn, my son said later, "hey mum, that looks like a chocolate cake.. Only you wouldn't want to get confused and eat it though".. Haha cute kid.

Thanks for the ideas. I bought a water hardness test kit today, so I can actually figure out what I'm dealing with.

I also found where the African cichlids are being kept in the shop today.. Excited to see the fairy Cichlids, they can be kept in harder water. The Blue Rams in softer water.. So once I figure out what my water options are ill make a decision.

That's said, it's possible I could use the rain water tank from outside, it maybe a a bit "tannin" like from falling leaves into the tank, but could be a good soft water option if I need. I know, I perhaps should have thought of that before.

You could try putting some vinegar on the rocks (or some stronger acid) and see if you get any bubbles which indicates carbonates. If you can't easily mark them with a fork (er, not that I'm suggesting), then chances are they will be fairly non-reactive in tank.

As a note about the shell dwellers, they are very interesting for a time and then really since there are limited to no other tank mates for the tank and they hide alot it gets somewhat "boring" for lack of another word. Been watching through my friends experience and when visiting her and the tank, kinda not much going on.

I'm not trying to ruin your excitement, I'm sorry - not trying to come off that way, just throwing it out that after a time of the fish getting acquainted and possible pairing off and causing an up roar because of breeding, it quiets way down.

Last edited:
Hey Autumn, no you're opinion is valued. In fact I had started heading the other way, I really love the fairy cichlids - but I've made my tank way too dark for them to get any security as they are white of course.

And... I just tested all my water options... And I'm pretty darn keen on getting the blue rams..

Tap water is a bit hard for them .. But my rainwater tank gives me options!!!! Yeeee Haaa

Thanks guys.

Lol Craig, thanks for caring that you lost sleep.. I do think you might be onto something tho with volcanic origins. For sure. I still paid too much, but it was a free tank and I paid cash, so hubbie can NEVER find out what I paid for a ROCK.

;)

I do think you might be onto something tho with volcanic origins. For sure.

I'm almost certain it's volcanic: I used to have racks similar to that in my own tanks.

I still paid too much, but it was a free tank and I paid cash, so hubbie can NEVER find out what I paid for a ROCK.

In that case, we'll be providing you with our Swiss bank account number for you to make regular deposits. :twisted:

Thanks guys.

Lol Craig, thanks for caring that you lost sleep.. I do think you might be onto something tho with volcanic origins. For sure. I still paid too much, but it was a free tank and I paid cash, so hubbie can NEVER find out what I paid for a ROCK.

;)

Still wondering :) If only we could break off a little bit, do some drilling and maybe some acid....

Is it white underneath? Also wondering if carbonates (if it doesn't seem heavy).

Still wondering :) If only we could break off a little bit, do some drilling and maybe some acid....

Is it white underneath? Also wondering if carbonates (if it doesn't seem heavy).

Hi Craig, I'm certain it's volcanic. It's not chalky at all, very heavy. It had a couple of chips in it already and it's red rock wherever I see a chip. I'm cycling the tank ATM with the rock in it, and have used very soft (tested)water. If water hardness changes then that can be a good check. I guess?

Back
Top Bottom