Really want to make a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there any way to use parts from a hang over back filter to make my own canister filter? I really want the benefits of more media filtration and less surface agitation. Any links or previous knowledge would be great. Thank you very much.

I don't know if there is a way to use the parts from a HOB to make it a canister, but I have seen people make cansisters out of things like 5g buckets. I would think the easiest way would to have it be gravity fed and then have an external pump at the bottom of the bucket to push the water back up.

Inside you can have a variety of filter material plus something like ceramic rings for bacteria to grow.

Is this for FW or SW?

It's for freshwater. I have the pump and all that I just have a lot of hang over back filters and wanted to know I there was anything I could do with the impellers and electrical parts.

I really don't think so. I know that people have turned them into mini fuges for a SW setup, but I don't think that would benifit a FW setup. I really can't think of anything in the HOB that would be worth salvaging.

If you leave the HOB alone, it would give you a fall back filter system just in case the DIY canister doesn't work out. If you take it apart, and still have problems, you then don't have a backup. It may be worth it to just leave them alone until you are sure the canister works.... just clean them really well before putting them up.

Back
Top Bottom