Reef Octopus NW-150 Output Silencer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrbee2828

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I saw this mod on Reef Central after recently purchasing the NW-150 and instantly being annoyed at the return noise. This is an amazing skimmer but you have to buy a $50 part from CoralVue if you want it to be the bee's knees so to speak. Here is a ~$15 mod give or take parts.

NOTE: The reason that the CoralVue part price is rather high is that the plumbing is metric which is next to impossible to get state side and when you can it's not cheap. Rather than increase the price of the skimmer and include this, it's an option. However, with a quick hack you can have this going for 1/4 the price. Depending on how many builds you've done before, you may have some of these parts already making it even cheaper. Here is the official part: Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer Output Vent Accessory | CoralVue

There are 2 possible ways to do this. I think both come out to the same price but I didn't want the heavier and bulkier 2" look. This build covers method A.

Part List (method A):

• 1.5" Flexible Coupling
  • 1.25" T
  • 1.25" PVC (8")
  • 1.25" PVC Cap
Part List (method B):

• 2" T
  • 2" PVC (8")
  • 2" Cap
  • Plumber's Thread Tape
Tools List:

• Miter saw (electric or hand)
  • Razor blade (for method A)
  • Clamp
  • Sandpaper
Here is everything you'll need. Note that I didn't glue everything. This is low pressure and 1/2 underwater. Everything fit real snug for me.

nw-150-silencer-1.jpg

• First you'll want to cut a 45° angle on the end of the 1.25" PVC.
  • Then measure up 4" and cut a 90° angle for the lower portion.
  • Measure up 4" more and cut a 2nd piece for the upper portion.
  • Sand your cut ends and clean up the pipe.
nw-150-silencer-2.jpg

• If you are going with method A you'll want to cut the flexible coupling down some. Put the metal clamps aside for a future project and trim it down to about 2".
nw-150-silencer-3.jpg

• Now crack your knuckles a squeeze the coupling over the T and the gate valve from the 150.
  • Grab the 1.25" cap and drill a small hole at the top. I think I used a 1/8" bit. Start small and go up a bit or 2 if there is too much pressure.
  • Assemble the other parts with the 45° piece on the bottom and the cap on top.
  • Stick it in the 150's elbow and shut that thing up!!!!!
nw-150-silencer-5.jpg

If you go with method B you are basically going to wrap the end of the 150's T in plumber's tape and then you are going to slide the 2" T over the outside of the T. Repeat the rest with 2" parts.

have you had any trouble with this? my overflow plumbing is directly above the hole in the silencer and i seem to be getting more salt creep now than before i had the silencer on.

I have some creep happening around the silencer but it's due to the fact that the bubbles are come up from the outlet and making very small pops on the surface. Nothing on the top as of yet for me. I think it's a trade off though. I'd rather take this thing off once a month and wash it than listen to the waterfall sound. Any chance you can relocate or reposition the output?

That is tight! Maybe you can do something wonky with it like use some elbows and bring the vent portion back toward the gate? I'm not sure how bad the creep is to warrant a change like that but it's worth mentioning. I'm not sure. I'm stoked that 2 people have made this now though :D

I would think so... it's not under any pressure and the pipe is a larger diameter. It should be fine. I mean it's going to be like another $1.50 in parts and a few cuts of pipe to connect them and the cap again. I don't think you can go wrong trying if you have the time. Did you not have a lot of splashing before with everything so close and that large output there?

yeah not to worried about the cost and it would be pretty simple to make. ill probably try it sometime soon. and there was splashing but i never had any salt creep above the sump.

Back
Top Bottom