Refugium Idea...Input Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well since a sump is a no go on my 56 gallon tall saltwater tank, I've been looking into ways to ditch my canister filters... And a refugium seems like a rather good idea! I have a spare 15 gallon tank i am planning on using and will add at least 1, possibly 2 baffles.

Since setting the refugium higher than the DT is out of the picture (the DT stands almost 6 ft high) I was planning on using my cascade 1000 (and buying a 2nd one) and using those to pump the water to and from the DT and refugium. I'll have the inlet of one in the DT pumping to the refugium, and the other inlet in the refugium pumping to the DT. I will remove all the media from them and possibly fill them with filter floss, and maybe some carbon. My other canister (eheim 2034) will most likely remain on the DT and be filled with chemical media (purigen, carbon, chemi-pure etc..)

The reason I was thinking of getting a second cascade is 1.) would be cheaper than buying pumps, and 2.) would be equal flow going in and out of each tank.

I also was thinking of placing a small power head on one end of the refugium aimed at the other end, simply to push the water through.

Now I want to make sure that this will all wOrk before I go onto planning everything that will go into the refugium, lights, and all that good stuff. PLEASE give me any advice anyone has to improve this idea to be more efficient and possibly save me some money and time. So I'm looking for any input possible. This is just a starting point, and still being a slight noob to saltwater, I'm looking for any and all advice I can get!

Thank you in advance !!

What happens if/when one of the canisters accumulates a bunch of gunk and the flow slows down and the other one doesn't? Or worse yet, what happens when one breaks down and the other keeps pumping? In other words, this is not a good idea. You'll end up with a very large mess on the floor and lots of dead stuff in your tank.

Way too much opportunity for failure. Canisters are not designed to be used this way. Why is a sump a no go? Even a hang on overflow would be more reliable than this idea.

This would NEVER work. There is no possible way you could sync 2 pumps.

I would have to disagree on you with this one. You can get a ball valve and control them that way. it is quite hard to do, by not totally impossible. I would personally suggest getting mag drives instead of doing this though.

Try it. It's been tried by many, and none have succeeded. Why do you think they sell HOB overflows? They would be a big waste of money if all you needed was 2 pumps.

Try it. It's been tried by many, and none have succeeded. Why do you think they sell HOB overflows? They would be a big waste of money if all you needed was 2 pumps.

The sell HOB overflows because people want a sump but don't want to drill their tanks. HOB overflows have nothing to do with 2 pumps and all of that.

mr_X said:
a canister filter is essentially a sump. A sump is just an extra container of water.

This is true, but a sump is mainly to add more water to your system, a canister does not do this very well. Thus me saying it would not be considered a sump. Just a thought :)

The reason a sump is out of the picture is because the tank can't be drilled, and ive looked into doin an overflow box, but those seem like too high of a risk chance there of flooding my floors.

Now my next question...Would the best route be just to buy 2 exact pumps? One for the inlet, one for the outlet?

I really like the whole idea and setup of a refugium, and really want to make sure I do this right lol I appreciate any and all ideas!

A hang on overflow would be a million times more reliable than some contraption with having to match flow. There's absolutely no way you can reliably use two pumps to do what you're looking to do. You'd have a full siphon going from the fuge to the tank, and the pump from the dt would have head height to deal with... not to mention the possibility of something stopping one of the lines either way and dumping no telling how much water out.

The ONLY way you can reliably make this work is to drill the refugium and have it overflow in to the DT.

mfdrookie516 said:
A hang on overflow would be a million times more reliable than some contraption with having to match flow.

The ONLY way you can reliably make this work is to drill the refugium and have it overflow in to the DT.

I would completly agree with you! I would not recommend putting a pump inside your tank to pump out water for this setup. A HOB overflow is many time more reliable than this idea. I personally have a HOB overflow and it is extremly.reliable.

I would have to disagree on you with this one. You can get a ball valve and control them that way. it is quite hard to do, by not totally impossible. I would personally suggest getting mag drives instead of doing this though.

Mag Drives?

Type of pump? Lol, sorry...still rather new to the wide world of saltwater filtration (which I love) but not sure what a mag drive is

Mag Drives?

Type of pump? Lol, sorry...still rather new to the wide world of saltwater filtration (which I love) but not sure what a mag drive is

No you are okay! Mag drives are a type of pump. they are cheap and are really reliable. Google
Hope this helps! :D

I would completly agree with you! I would not recommend putting a pump inside your tank to pump out water for this setup. A HOB overflow is many time more reliable than this idea. I personally have a HOB overflow and it is extremly.reliable.

What brand of overflow would be worth looking into? I want one that I won't have to constantly worry about if it's goin to malfunction and flood the house lol.

Drilling the refuge shouldnt be a problem if this would help, but for this to work, would it have to sit higher than the DT?

It would not have to sit higher, it would have to sit lower. You would get a Mag drive ( a pump) to pump the water back into the display. This link would get you starting in the whole setup of things. It took me awhile to figure out what actually to do. Sump setup - Google Search I would get an aqueon on a used forum. They should have one here. You could always make your own sump too if you would like.

Another reason 2 pumps would not work is one will be aided by gravity, the other is working against it.

Mag Drives?

As said just before, they are a pump. Very reliable and with a little searching you can get a good deal. I just ordered a 1800 for $130 with free shipping. You can also look it up by the manufacture, danner eugene.

Back
Top Bottom