removed black hinge from versa top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know this is a super dumb DIY but it drove me nuts that the black hinge was smack in the middle of my versatop blocking out all that good useful light.
I could tell the back half of my tank was way more lit than the front just on how some of my plant were growing towards that direction.

Anyway
Went on amazon and ordered a clear plastic heavy duty hinge
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P5BWODK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

some clear double sided gorilla tape

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXVG9FW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and BAM can now stick my light in the center of my tanks lid with no issues or loss of light

Congrats on the DIY solution! That light blocking hinge bothered the heck out of me. The only time it was okay was when I ran two fixtures.
I tried a different approach. I removed the hinge (cracked a pane in the process but luckily had an extra one), cut two 2" sections from the hinge and mounted them on the ends of the panes. Still functions and allows light to pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Congrats on the DIY solution! That light blocking hinge bothered the heck out of me. The only time it was okay was when I ran two fixtures.
I tried a different approach. I removed the hinge (cracked a pane in the process but luckily had an extra one), cut two 2" sections from the hinge and mounted them on the ends of the panes. Still functions and allows light to pass through.

nice,
I tried something similar since I actually had an extra top my buddy gave me but it seemed really wonky. I could have prob siliconed it into place but I really wanted something strong since all I could see in my head was a giant pane of glass falling in and decapitating my angel while trying to feed him/her.

nice,

I tried something similar since I actually had an extra top my buddy gave me but it seemed really wonky. I could have prob siliconed it into place but I really wanted something strong since all I could see in my head was a giant pane of glass falling in and decapitating my angel while trying to feed him/her.

Yes, that would be bad.
So far the mini hinges seem secure. I probably only open the lid once a week during water changes.

all you got to do if you don't like the hing cut a few 1 inch strips ,
the light goes through the open top and the tank breaths,

all you got to do if you don't like the hing cut a few 1 inch strips ,
the light goes through the open top and the tank breaths,

Easier said than done, my friend. While working the hinge off one pane, I was down to the last couple of inches and SNAP went the pane. I think mine was an Aqueon.

I do it a lot Just need a good hack saw blade and some thing to hold hing so it can be without it moving

You can also put the two pieces edge to edge and run a bead of flexible silicone on the part where they meet. I usually tape both pieces so that the silicone doesn't get messy. Then take a putty knife or something like that and smooth it flat. Let it cure overnight and you have a flexible clear silicone hinge.

hack saw? I Was able to cut the extra one with scissors.

I think the hacksaw blade was for separating the existing hinge from the glass. That's my impression. I used a 4" putty knife and 12" dry wall tool. Wet the blades and slide under the edge of the rubber hinge to work it off of the glass.

How did you get the hinge off? You just cut it down the middle with scissors or what? I have been thinking about attempting something like this myself since the front of my tank isn't getting enough light because of the black hinge.

If you have no plans on using the existing hinge (and have a new one available), you could take a strong pair of scissors or knife and slice the hinge down the middle. Next, removing the hinge from the glass will require some elbow grease, possibly a pair of pliers or other tool to separate the hinge from the glass.
In my case I wanted to reuse the hinge so cutting it down the middle was not an option. I cracked one of the glass panes in the process of removing the hinge (mentioned in a previous post). I cut the hinge into a pair of 2" sections and now use those as the hinge.

Is this the bloody strip in which you speak? I see a hack saw and silicone seal being a handy tip. Thanks guys!
Cheers to creative messes in the shop!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1444277641531.jpg
    1444277641531.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 177
Ill try to post a pic of mine now later.
The plastic hinge I bought in the link is SUPER sturdy, more so than the black one it comes with. The tape is way stronger than silicone to.
My black strip came right off so maybe it was just worn or warm from the light hitting it so long.

Back
Top Bottom