Removing the hinge on glass top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I always felt that the hinge on the versa tops were in the way. It limited where I could place the light. And it blocked the light from the flash mounted above the tank when doing photography. The hinge was easier to remove than I thought it would be. I thought the hinge was glued to the glass, but it wasn't on the 20 long top. I'm going to do this to the 10 and then I'll take some flash pics and see if light from the flash is not blocked.

wnYgUeU.jpg

My Aqueon is 46G stiffly in place but it can slide out. Good for cleaning.
I recently sold a 29g with the back pane of glass separate but it was a rectangle tank. I got it used and it came that way from someone else.

I've always removed the hinge from mine as well. It always seems to be right where the light needs to go.

I’ve done this on my 30” top. It can be stubborn; broke a top in the process. I cut off 2” sections and only use those as the hinges.
Ironically, while cleaning a top (hinge intact), I was rinsing it with hot water and one of the glass panes just slid out of the hinge. Face palm moment.

Back
Top Bottom