resealing a 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceuppercut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a leaky 29 gal. I've tried to seal it before, following all the instructions I could find (removing old silicone, cleaning, and re-applying). But it has never worked. looking at it again, it seems that I may have broken a seal between the two peices of glass, which all the instructions say, is a big no-no, but offer no advice on fixing. Is there any way I can fix this, and salvage the aquarium?

It's possible to fix it. You'll have to remove the plastic frames at the top and bottom of the tank and remove one of the pieces of glass where the seal is broken. Clean the glass with a razor blade and rubbing alcohol. Reseal the tank with 100% silicone that has no fungicides or mold killers.

It's possible to fix it. You'll have to remove the plastic frames at the top and bottom of the tank and remove one of the pieces of glass where the seal is broken. Clean the glass with a razor blade and rubbing alcohol. Reseal the tank with 100% silicone that has no fungicides or mold killers.

how do u know if its a mold killer or fungicides? it doesnt even say on the silicone tube. thats the hard part for me when going out n buying silicone, it dont say anything on the tube, doesnt say if its have mold killer or fungicides, or have anything in it.

I have a leaky 29 gal. I've tried to seal it before, following all the instructions I could find (removing old silicone, cleaning, and re-applying). But it has never worked. looking at it again, it seems that I may have broken a seal between the two peices of glass, which all the instructions say, is a big no-no, but offer no advice on fixing. Is there any way I can fix this, and salvage the aquarium?

i think what u can do is seal the inside n outside of the tank. tht way no water can leak out.

The tube should say 100% silicone and nothing about anti-fungal or anti-mold. Look for GE-1. I believe that's a popular brand for fixing aquariums.

If you use GE Silicone I, make sure it is for windows and doors. Stay away from anything that says "Kitchens and Bathrooms". In addition, if you remove one pane, you probably should redo all the seams, with a complete rebuild.

noob question, how do u know if u broke the seal???

everytime i blade out the old silicone, i remove every silicone in the tank. everytime going as deep as i can to the point where im pretty much just bladeing the glass. it sound like ur cutting glass.

i always have a feeling, i broke the seal and sometime ill just be like its normal. blah blah blah.

You can tell if the tank needs a rebuild, by trying to pry them apart (lightly). There should be no movement.

You can tell if the tank needs a rebuild, by trying to pry them apart (lightly). There should be no movement.

if thats the case, HA!! i broke the seal on a 10 gallon.
the 2 piece of glass will lightly move apart. from dark to light

If your trying to reseal then make sure that your not breaking the seal in between the pieces of glass. Always cut so you never break into it so alont the glass portion that butts up against the end piece.

Back
Top Bottom