Resealing a tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 40g breeder's silicone after 10 plus years of use started showing signs of silicone separating from the glass in many spots and I knew sooner or later it was going to be trouble. I went and purchased a new one from Petco, not the dollar a gallon sale but I was able to get one for around $85. Now to the old tank, I keep reading and watching YouTube videos on re-sealing a tank, they all show and mention step by step the removing of the old outer silicone and re-sealing. My question is what about the old silicone between the panels? Is this asking for trouble and is it even worth doing the job?

Waiting for a tank to start leaking? Not sure this is the way I want to go. The silicone is practically gone or lifted from the glass. This is not an emergency; I have since purchased a new one to replace the old tank. I now would like to take my time re-sealing the old tank, anyone with advice appreciated.

Ok,ok. I am just concerned about tearing the panels apart. That’s all. You can Take a razor blade, cut away the loose silicone and touch up the corners with some fresh Aquarium Sealer. I just would not tear the tank panels apart especially since it is not leaking now.

Ok,ok. I am just concerned about tearing the panels apart. That’s all. You can Take a razor blade, cut away the loose silicone and touch up the corners with some fresh Aquarium Sealer. I just would not tear the tank panels apart especially since it is not leaking now.

I think this is a case of bad communication on my part. I would never go as far as removing the panels, I guess I should have asked if the condition of the silicone holding the panels is anything to be concerned about before doing the re-seal but I think I'm making too much of this. In any case, I started pulling the silicone, most of it is coming off without even touching it with a blade! But anyway, the tank will be outside full of water (once done) for a while, don't feel like taking any chances here.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom