Restoring a BIG bowfront tank & stand and have a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xDBOYx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys been lerking around aa.com with the intentions of getting back into the hobby. so luckily last month i bought this used but new to me 155g (i think not sure) and stand and a few other goodies with it. over the coarse of the month i been restoring it at a very slow pace due to work and school. i got a really good deal on it but it needed a little attention. the previous owner had it with corals and salt water fishes and i plan to keep freshwater in it with live rocks and plants. so far ive replaced the rotted wood on the stand with new one (you will see the replaced wood in my pics below), filled in all the holes and cracks with elmers wood filler and in the process of sanding.

MY QUESTIONS:

1. when i go to paint the stand what should i use spray paint or can paint and brush or roll the paint on? if so what texture (eggshell, latex etc) or shade of black should i get it? which will give it the best look and durability? because i know water harms wood really bad so i want quality. of course i will seal and prime the wood if i have to go the can paint route.

2. when sandind should i sand the old paint completely off or just sand it enough but the old paint can still stay a bit ?

3. the tank is drilled and has a built in refugium/overflow box. since the last owner had corals the refugium/overflow has coral salt stuck onto it and i tried scrubbing it but it wont come off. im afraid to even put my frashwater fishes into the tank cause it might hurt them. can i buy a replacement and silicone the new in place of the old? if so where and whats the damage?

more questions will comes but right now before i do anythign else i just want to get the tank and stand up to like new and running condition. thank you guys for all your help and any comment will be appreciated.

here comes the pics and sorry for the long post and big pics.

stand
img_1054366_0_3e1c0e379dd854c4b7418e1b0a3a81b9.jpg

img_1054366_1_42608cf05dae3363c9da20f5f828c98e.jpg

img_1054366_2_4dfc4d42b1be802ccdaf42864ec1eb5c.jpg

img_1054366_3_dd0bbc2debce9e0dd0a51f7bd7067b64.jpg

tank
img_1054366_4_ba86923283111b8322e391cdbb4dc9a8.jpg

img_1054366_5_f216940cf41668b54271b02872818c38.jpg

refugium/overflow caked in coral
img_1054366_6_d96983e34862873d86427085eb37399b.jpg

img_1054366_7_84514be1fe1ac7d1f9c8df8877ab1ce7.jpg

welcome to AA :) Nice looking tank, cant wait to see it all set up with fish in it :) Looks like youre making good progress on the stand. I saw a thread a guy on here has where he used a textured spray paint to paint his stand. It was grey, but im sure they make it in different colors. As for the coraline on the overflows, vinegar and a razor blade should do it. If you soak it in vinever, then use a razor blade and scrape it backwards over the plastic, it should bring it off. btw, i love bowfronts, im just waiting on getting one for myself :)

welcome to AA :) Nice looking tank, cant wait to see it all set up with fish in it :) Looks like youre making good progress on the stand. I saw a thread a guy on here has where he used a textured spray paint to paint his stand. It was grey, but im sure they make it in different colors. As for the coraline on the overflows, vinegar and a razor blade should do it. If you soak it in vinever, then use a razor blade and scrape it backwards over the plastic, it should bring it off. btw, i love bowfronts, im just waiting on getting one for myself :)

thing is im afraid of spray paint my hands arent steady and i suck at spraying. also for the coraline the razor wont damage the overflows? i dont think ill be soaking it in vinegar cz it would require me to heat the silicone and take it off. the coraline is also inside the overflow and my hand doesnt fit inside it haha. im gonna try the vinegar and razor blade method but if that fails is there any place to buy these overflows? if i find out the brand of the tank can i get it from the manufacturer? if im going to take the overflow off to soak it in vinegar im better off buying 2 new piece. oh and good luck on your bowfront hunt.

Looks pretty nice. Welcome to AA

thanks alot sir. cant wait to get her up and running

well when i said soak it in vinegar, i actually meant just get it real wet with vinegar... maybe take some paper towells soaked in vinegar and lay them on it? As long as you scrap with the razor blade backwards, as in with it tilted so that the sharp side is facing the opposite way youre traveling, it shouldnt scratch it. honestly not sure on the overflows, but im sure you can get them from the manufacturer of the tank

well when i said soak it in vinegar, i actually meant just get it real wet with vinegar... maybe take some paper towells soaked in vinegar and lay them on it? As long as you scrap with the razor blade backwards, as in with it tilted so that the sharp side is facing the opposite way youre traveling, it shouldnt scratch it. honestly not sure on the overflows, but im sure you can get them from the manufacturer of the tank

Cool ill give it a shot when I get home and keep you posted

anyone else have any suggestions for paint? anyone use like wood paint from the can that you roll on instead of spray paint?

If you're set on brushing or rolling it, use an oil-based paint and you should be fine.

Personally, I'd spray paint it. It's a heck of a lot easier. Spray several light coats using short strokes and never stop moving the can while spraying. The directions on the can are usually pretty good, if you take the time to read them. Mask the areas you don't want painted and go to town on it.

You gonna paint the whole stand right? If so, then why worry about the wandering hand? I'd also recommend a good coat or two of polyurethane on top of that for water proofing the stand - especialy the innards where water is likely to contact more.

Last edited:
If ur are worried about spray then take a look at Lowes or Home Depot, they have textured paint that u can roll. I am with u, I suck large at spray painting, so I roll when ever possible. As far as water proofing coat with Kilz first, will also hide the orig finish.

Look forward to seeing your progress

Bear

For what it's worth, I had the same exact tank. Was able to fit a sump/fuge on the left, my Aqua C EV skimmer in the middle, and a 37g freshwater reservoir tank on the right underneath my stand. Fit perfectly. Here's a pic of a bit of it underneath during setupt time long ago to give you and idea. I think I've got a better pic at home if you're interested. Put a JBJ auto top off unit in the 37g FW tank to fill the sump/fuge as needed. With the reef lighting and the canopy, I'd lose about 3-5g of water a day to evap, so that 37g was a life saver for me. Had to only fill that once every 2 weeks maybe.

Attachments

• New tank 4-27 016.jpg
    New tank 4-27 016.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 101

A light sanding with a high grit sandpaper works too. Lot less elbow grease

wow i love that tank iv never seen a bow front that big its gona look ba. as for the cleaning i just set up a 75gal that was a salt tank. i used the viniger method and i wet a rag with some vinigar didnt leave it soak, and rub it most of it cleaned right up what didnt i used a brilo pad(used to scrub dishes) that worked great to clean inside maby use a brilo pad soaked in vinagar and a stiff stick and scrub up and down or maby a scrub pad on a long handel they sell at fish stores good luck cant wait to c more pics

Back
Top Bottom