Retro custom build, back to life, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nomzombie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear AqAdv, I have this tank that I was given by my mother in law and it is a much bigger project than I prepared for. So here I sit at 1:38am sharing with you my pain and seeking your advice. I'm removing what has to be the worst seal job I have EVER seen. It's a nightmare to say the least. I scrubbed bits off with some vinegar but I still have to remove mountains of it with a razor. But one thing I realized is that the sealing job might be more difficult bc none of the vertical seals are at a right angle bc it's an octagon. Any advice on quicker removal or how to get a nice smooth seal when it's not a right angle? I feel if I use my finger as usual I'll wipe too much off.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• IMAG2197.jpg
    IMAG2197.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG2194.jpg
    IMAG2194.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG2196.jpg
    IMAG2196.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG2195.jpg
    IMAG2195.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Also I forgot to add this is a rapid repair because I have a 15" pleco and a 13" Goby in a smaller tub together and they're cramped so I need to get them back into their home as soon as possible!

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't even attempt to reseal an octagonal aquarium.
You're a braver man than I.
maybe use a small plastic putty knife to smooth over the edges and fill that gap.

good luck to ya, you certainly have a challenge ahead of you.

Back
Top Bottom