Rich's DIY Overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Decided to try to build a DIY overflow. I am sure by the time I am done it will have cost me as much as buying one but...... It is all in the satisfaction of saying "Hey, I built that". :)

Got everything cut and bent this morning and started a bit of the assembly. First batch of pictures.

Just a few more pics after this afternoons progress. I will let it all set up over night then I will check for leaks. If I have no leaks, then I can gut some groves in the face and install the bulkhead fitting. :)

LOL Twitch. But, the big question is.........Which one works. LOL We have yet to see if this one does. I am leak testing it this morning. Just found what I think is my last one in the weir portion. Once it sets up I am going to set up a simulation and let run for a few hours and see what happens.

Hope so. :) Got to be better than my canister. I am going to replace the hose (that one ran in my pond for a couple years and is nasty. Once I get a new hose on it and do a bit of pluming I am going to replace the water with clean, dump a bunch of white viniger in it and let it run for a week or two. Then, it is time to build a sump. :)

I just bought flat sheets of acrylic from Home Depot (less than $9.00 each) and used my table saw, dremil tool and a torch. With the torch you have to be very careful not to over heat it but it did fine. Tried my wife's hair dryer first but that just wasn't enough heat.

Back
Top Bottom