Rich's DIY Sump/Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Getting ready to build a DIY sump. I can get sheets of Milk White 1/2" Acrylic that at 31" x 31" for $10.00 a sheet. I have a limited foot print to work with but height is not an issue. Here are my plans. Poke all holes you can in it please. I would rather find out now then later. :)

return pump section is way too small,dont forget this is the section which water levels will drop due to evaporation.do you have enough room to make the sump longer than 2' 6",I know you said the sheets were only 31" long but you could build 2 tanks butted up together and tank connectors for the water flow.

Last edited:
return pump section is way too small,dont forget this is the section which water levels will drop due to evaporation.do you have enough room to make the sump longer than 2' 6",I know you said the sheets were only 31" long but you could build 2 tanks butted up together and tank connectors for the water flow.

What do you mean "Don't Forget". How could I forget something I don't already know. LOL I have never done this before or even owned a sump. That is why I value your input so much. Now that you say it, I see your point. Going to have to rethink it a bit.

I thought about the two tank idea. I was thinking of an over under set up. May have to look at that again. If I were to do that, I could dedicate half of one tank to fuge and the other to return pump. The reason I nixed the idea before was I thought I wanted to stop bubble before entering the fuge. The other thing that has been mentioned on another forum is I have all the flow going through the fuge which is not a good idea.

It depends what your having in the fuge,if its just macro algae like chaeto then good flow is needed,if your putting mud or sand then a slower flow is reccommended.

Have a look at this i just drew for an idea.
22825-albums1212-picture16722.png

Feel free to jump in jjamontan or anyone else. That is how I have learned everything I know (grant it that isn't a lot but....). :)

David, I like that but would need to modify a bit. My tank sits on top of my entertainment system which is angled in the corner. Therefore, I can't put the sump under the tank but have to put it in the space behind the tank. (you would laugh if you watched me climb through the TV section to get behind the tank). To leave enough room for access, I have a foot print of about 30" x 15 to work with. The good news is, I can go vertical with not much problem. I am also trying to do it with the cheap acrylic sheets available which are 31" x 31".

Let me revise my drawing and I will post it in a bit.

Ok, updated design based on over/under set-up. Poke all the holes you can in it. I would rather take a beating here than have to vacuum up a bunch of SW from my family room carpets. :)

Sorry to just jump in but how do you connect the two tanks?

I've used some 1 1/2 pipe and tank connectors.

Ok, updated design based on over/under set-up. Poke all the holes you can in it. I would rather take a beating here than have to vacuum up a bunch of SW from my family room carpets. :)

looks ok but if your are just using chaeto dont worry about slowing the flow down,use the full amount of flow,chaeto likes to be tumbling also the section with LR just use some egg crate at the bottom of the seperator with acrylic above to force the water through the rocks.

Last edited:
I've used some 1 1/2 pipe and tank connectors.

looks ok but if your are just using chaeto dont worry about slowing the flow down,use the full amount of flow,chaeto likes to be tumbling also the section with LR just use some egg crate at the bottom of the seperator with acrylic above to force the water through the rocks.

Again, great info. Thanks.

David S said:
get us some photo's as soon as you start building

LOL. Will do. Got to scrape together a few pennies to cover the cost of materials first. Man, I never would have believed you if you told me in 1978 just how expensive kids are. :). Good news is I am about done paying for the third set of braces and the oral surgeon. LOL. Of course the middle one moved back home a couple months ago soooooooo there goes my fish room.

LOL. Will do. Got to scrape together a few pennies to cover the cost of materials first. Man, I never would have believed you if you told me in 1978 just how expensive kids are. :). Good news is I am about done paying for the third set of braces and the oral surgeon. LOL. Of course the middle one moved back home a couple months ago soooooooo there goes my fish room.

I know what you are saying,I've just paid £2400 for my sons car insurance.

I know what you are saying,I've just paid £2400 for my sons car insurance.

About to go through that too. Need to start teaching the youngest one to drive this weekend. And people think the SW hobby is expensive. :)

Back
Top Bottom