Rich's DIY T5HO 6 Lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnelson99

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally finished my DIY T5HO 6 Lamp Fixture. I started with a fixture that we were to hang in a new warehouse however it was damaged in shipping. Our vendor told us to "Field Scrap" it so I "Scrapped" it to my garage. The original fixture was 4' long and about 24" wide. I couldn't do anything about the length without replacing the ballast but I was able to cut the ballast compartment out of the center, move the lamp holders and reflectors in then mount the ballast compartment on top. Next I build a shroud around it from scraps I had in the garage. Total cost without lamps....about $30.00. :D

I have just finished hanging it and have not cut the support cables to proper length yet (want to make sure I don't need to adjust the elevation). Tomorrow I will trim them up, make sure it is level and it will be done. Not the best in the world but the Price Was Right. Here are a few pictures.

Nice job, but the thing that makes T5HO lights so good are high quality, individual reflectors. It looks like your reflector is 1 piece and it was damaged. It's a good fixture for the price, but don't expect it to perform like a fixture with proper reflectors.

It has two reflectors however it is formed so that each lamp has a separate cavity which would be the same as separate reflectors. The whole reason I got it for nothing was because the reflectors were damaged in shipping. LOL I know I will loose some performance but it shouldn't be a ton. We get damaged fixtures a lot so I will keep my eyes open for any reflectors I can steal that are in better shape.

Back
Top Bottom