Rimless Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright so, with the help of garf, i figured out how to build my rimless tank, and i have all the tools since my pops and my grandpa have all the tools i need.

Only thing, is that garf gave me the instructions to build this tank WITH bracing. However, bracing defeats the purpose of a rimless aquarium. I'll show you guys the measurements.

Tank Information:

Material = Glass
Tank Height = 12"
Tank Width = 28"
Tank Length = 28 "
Glass Thickness = 1/4"(thinking of making this 1/2" or 3/4" depending on glass prices)
Approximate Gallons = 41

Cut List:

Bottom = 27 1/2 " x 27 1/2"
Front = 28 " x 12"
Back = 28 " x 12"
2 Sides = 12 " x 27 1/2"
Top Front/Back brace = 27 1/2 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 27 1/2 " x 2"

Now the question i have, is how to make this support the wieght of the water without using braces. I'm not familiar with the construction of rimless designed tanks, so i don't know how they make the tanks without bracing but i know it's done. I've seen tanks over 150 gallons that are rimless and have no brace support, so can anyone help me out on this one? If anyone has any experience with this i'm definitely open to suggestions, etc.. Anything that can help please let me know.

The rimless aquariums that I've seen are generally short. Tank height is the deciding factor on how thick the glass needs to be. To go rimless, you need thicker glass than a framed aquarium to prevent bowing. The best suggestion I can give is to go examine and measure a rimless aquarium.

My 20L is similar to your dimensions in height and length and it uses glass that's about 1/4" thick. For a rimless design, I'd at least double it and go with 1/2" glass.

Yeah that's what i was thinking. I've been looking at lots of rimless tanks and i see that most of the tanks under 13" high have 1/2" thickness, and the larger rimless cubes are the ones that have the 3/4" thickness. And it doesn't surprise me that they would need it. If i had a 50G rimless cube i would definitely want 3/4" thickness.

Not sure if i'm doing this design anymore.. I may decide to do a 40G breeder rimless, and at which point i will most likely be needing to use 3/4" thickness. However, i'm sure glass prices at that thickness won't be pleasant so i may just go with an All-Glass rimmed 40 breeder. :p

Anywhoo.. thanks for the input Jim.

I have 4 48" x 12" x 12" tanks built from 3/16" glass. I have a centre brace, but had a couple where the brace gave out and the tanks still held. 1/4" glass should be sufficient, especially since the tank is very shallow at 12".

Back
Top Bottom