Rock cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sylkdog1986

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Goodmorning everyone I was looking outside and found some nice rocks I'd like to throw in my tank how should I got about cleaning them ??

I usually rinse them well with tap water and an old toothbrush, then boil them for about 30-45 min. Thats just me though. :)

I had about 200lbs of lace and holey rock that was covered in green and black algae. That looked bad and dull. I mixed up a very light and runny coat of cement and dipped the rocks in that. They came out with all the detail of the rock but clean and bright. You can also shade them with pigment to change the colour. I haven't had a problem with them yet.

I used a wire brush when I cleaned rocks for my tank, one that you would use for a grill. I also put them in boiling water to kill anything that was lingering on them.

Make sure they don't have limestone in them if you have PH sensitive fishies! Rocks with limestone in them will cause your PH level to go up :) If i remember correctly, if u put a few drops of white vinegar on them, it will bubble if it has limestone present. When I did it, I just filled a whole bucket up and put the rocks in one by one Vinegar is cheap lol.

Thanx jehenery u got me scared now I scrubbed mines down and boiled them also but I knew nothing about the vinegar test I jus threw them in the tank once they cooled down unfortunatly I'm at work till 9 so hopefully my fish will b alive when I get home I jus bought 3 new cichlids today too :-(

I doubt the PH will change at all in just a few hours. Im sure your fish are fine: ) I live near Philly PA and there was none in my rocks. If you do have an issue try a local gardening store, they will get shipments from other parts of the states but still yest them! You never know.

Back
Top Bottom