rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I have a whole bunch of decorative small rocks. Don't know if I can use then in my aquarium and also I want to use them to make caves or something for the fish to hide in. If I can use then is there a way I can glue them together to make some sort of cave if yall have any Ideas lemme know.

ForumRunner_20130107_135318.jpg

ForumRunner_20130107_135412.jpg

Most of the rocks have a slick surface. Thanks

kwandrsn said:
Ok I have a whole bunch of decorative small rocks. Don't know if I can use then in my aquarium and also I want to use them to make caves or something for the fish to hide in. If I can use then is there a way I can glue them together to make some sort of cave if yall have any Ideas lemme know.

Most of the rocks have a slick surface. Thanks

IMO you will be fine using them. You can either use silicon(only certain kinda) if your unsure most LFS carry silicon that is fish safe. There is another product made for glueing rocks I think it's made by instant ocean called hold fast epoxy stick.

Ok thanks I read somewhere about silicone to seal aquariums. Stuff they sell at hardware store. Would that work. I want it to withstand bring moved around to vacuum gravel. Thought about getting some sort of flat rock to make top out of and using small rocks for walls. What can I use for the flat rock that will be safe?. Was thinking maybe a rock looking tile. Like you would use on a outside porch. The kind that isn't as smooth as normal tile

Slate works great for flat rock. Very cheap too. You can use silicon from the hardware store just make sure it says 100% silicon and does not have any mold or mildew resistant chemicals. GE makes a tube that's safe I think it's like GE 1. It will say don't use in aquariums but that's a new warning to deter people from saving money vs the cost of the stuff at LFS. Many of us, myself included have used the GE1

Just make sure you let the silicon cure for at least 48 hours before you put into the tank. Once cured it should be almost completely odorless.

Back
Top Bottom